The Student Room Group

How much should i have saved?

Im nearly 24 and ive been working for 3 years in london. Ive always wondered if i have enough savings. I live at home in a low income household so i help pay with a lot of household expenses - its not like i live for free. I earn over 30k a year now, how much should i realistically have saved so far?
Original post by Anonymous
Im nearly 24 and ive been working for 3 years in london. Ive always wondered if i have enough savings. I live at home in a low income household so i help pay with a lot of household expenses - its not like i live for free. I earn over 30k a year now, how much should i realistically have saved so far?

It's difficult for anyone to give a meaningful answer when you don't give details about your fixed expenses, just vague generalisations.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
It's difficult for anyone to give a meaningful answer when you don't give details about your fixed expenses, just vague generalisations.

I probably have my own expenses of around £800 a month. I wasnt asking for a number i was thinking more of a %

Approx 10-20% depending on your situation!
I probably have my own expenses of around £800 a month. I wasnt asking for a number i was thinking more of a %

That also should vary. With £30k salary you get about £2k per month net. If your outgoings are £800 you have £1200pcm disposable income. Depending on what the £800 includes (food? travel? phone?) and your social life, then you could save anything up to £1k a month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending