The Student Room Group

Teacher with ADHD

Hi,

I have recently completed my PGCE- and I am due to start working in a school in Sept. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and my employer does not know as of yet.

Can someone give me some insight into whether I should tell my school that I have ADHD? I mean is there any support that they can give me? If so please share?

Im in 2 minds in whether I should tell them- if I won't receive any support then I feel like there is no point in telling them.

Thanking you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by mary20200114
Hi,

I have recently completed my PGCE- and I am due to start working in a school in Sept. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and my employer does not know as of yet.

Can someone give me some insight into whether I should tell my school that I have ADHD? I mean is there any support that they can give me? If so please share?

Im in 2 minds in whether I should tell them- if I won't receive any support then I feel like there is no point in telling them.

Thanking you in advance :smile:

If you completed your PGCE then presumably, you are able to complete classroom activities and teaching in a competent manner. Do you feel you can perform your day-to-day duties without additional support being put in place? If so, there is no need to disclose. However, the issues around ADHD seem to be a bit murky as it does not guarantee reasonable adjustments should be made.

More info here:
https://www.additudemag.com/should-you-tell-your-boss-about-your-adhd/#:~:text=The%20only%20good%20reason%20for,to%20services%20and%2For%20accommodations.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
If you completed your PGCE then presumably, you are able to complete classroom activities and teaching in a competent manner. Do you feel you can perform your day-to-day duties without additional support being put in place? If so, there is no need to disclose. However, the issues around ADHD seem to be a bit murky as it does not guarantee reasonable adjustments should be made.

More info here:
https://www.additudemag.com/should-you-tell-your-boss-about-your-adhd/#:~:text=The%20only%20good%20reason%20for,to%20services%20and%2For%20accommodations.

Hi, thank you for your reply- yes that is right! I feel like I do overwork myself and get on with things as a coping mechanism (part of my ADHD). But again im in 2 minds of informing them as I dont know whether I will receive any support. OR if there is anything they will do to support me and what the adjustments could be?

I would never want something to go wrong and then I get told 'oh if you had disclosed your diagnoses then we could have supported you' -- that's my biggest worry even if I dont know for sure something will go wrong (its a battle with ADHD daily)

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by mary20200114
Hi, thank you for your reply- yes that is right! I feel like I do overwork myself and get on with things as a coping mechanism (part of my ADHD). But again im in 2 minds of informing them as I dont know whether I will receive any support. OR if there is anything they will do to support me and what the adjustments could be?

I would never want something to go wrong and then I get told 'oh if you had disclosed your diagnoses then we could have supported you' -- that's my biggest worry even if I dont know for sure something will go wrong (its a battle with ADHD daily)

Thanks!

Well you know you better than anyone. Are there any adjustments which if made would transform your working day? If not then there is nothing to gain.

Also don't worry about things going wrong. They go wrong all the time for lots of reasons but you choosing not to disclose your diagnosis. That is a private matter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending