The Student Room Group

adhd question

If i think i have adhd and dyslexia is it worth getting tested whilst I am in y12 or will it prevent me from becoming a doctor?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
If i think i have adhd and dyslexia is it worth getting tested whilst I am in y12 or will it prevent me from becoming a doctor?
Thanks

It shouldn't do because you legally cannot be discriminated against for having a disability. It may also help you get accomodations in school and work which could be beneficial. I am autistic and know I wouldn't be able to cope without the accomodations that I receive.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
It shouldn't do because you legally cannot be discriminated against for having a disability. It may also help you get accomodations in school and work which could be beneficial. I am autistic and know I wouldn't be able to cope without the accomodations that I receive.

Oh, thank you. I was afraid it might stop me. If so do you know what I should do first, do I go to my sixth form first or do I go straight to the GP.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Oh, thank you. I was afraid it might stop me. If so do you know what I should do first, do I go to my sixth form first or do I go straight to the GP.

I would probably go to your sixth form first as they are likely to be able to give you more evidence of why you should be referred, and they may be able to refer you themselves.
Reply 4
It's also a right pain trying to get tested as an adult so if you can get something sorted out now, or even just starting the process, you'll benefit so much more from any accommodations you can get and saves the faff when you're at uni or later on in life :smile:
Reply 5
I would probably go to your sixth form first as they are likely to be able to give you more evidence of why you should be referred, and they may be able to refer you themselves.

It's just ive moved to my sixth form this year and they dont know much about me, and the teacher keeps on telling me that I cant be dyslexic because I can read well but I know that there iss certain aspects where I cant and they just wont listen to me completley
Reply 6
Original post by bl0bf1sh
It's also a right pain trying to get tested as an adult so if you can get something sorted out now, or even just starting the process, you'll benefit so much more from any accommodations you can get and saves the faff when you're at uni or later on in life :smile:

It's just i feel as though I'm going to need a diagnosis if I can get one for later on in life because I am trying to be a doctor
Reply 7
It's just i feel as though I'm going to need a diagnosis if I can get one for later on in life because I am trying to be a doctor

Waiting times can be really long (like years) to get an assessment so if you can get tested now, or get in the queue for a test, the sooner you can get your diagnosis (or whatever you'd like to call it)

The sooner you have the test results, the sooner you can get the support you need/would benefit from. This support would most likely help you in becoming a doctor! :smile:

Are there any other teachers in school you could talk to, maybe someone to do with learning or wellbeing? They might be able to help get an assessment sorted out for you a bit more quickly than if you'd just gone to the GP there are quite a lot of steps in the whole process.
Reply 8

Waiting times can be really long (like years) to get an assessment so if you can get tested now, or get in the queue for a test, the sooner you can get your diagnosis (or whatever you'd like to call it)

The sooner you have the test results, the sooner you can get the support you need/would benefit from. This support would most likely help you in becoming a doctor! :smile:

Are there any other teachers in school you could talk to, maybe someone to do with learning or wellbeing? They might be able to help get an assessment sorted out for you a bit more quickly than if you'd just gone to the GP there are quite a lot of steps in the whole process.

ive gone to the teachers but theyre like not taking me seriouslly because I know how to read and when I tell them why i think theyre like really hesitant and stuff so i dont know what to do

It's just ive moved to my sixth form this year and they dont know much about me, and the teacher keeps on telling me that I cant be dyslexic because I can read well but I know that there iss certain aspects where I cant and they just wont listen to me completley

I meant more so head of sixth form or a member of the SEN department at your school rather than one of your subject teachers
Reply 10
I meant more so head of sixth form or a member of the SEN department at your school rather than one of your subject teachers

its the learning support department that isnt taking me seriously and they keep on saying things like its really unlikely because i know how to read and dyslexics cant read but there is loads of dyslexics who have learned how to read.
Reply 11
its the learning support department that isnt taking me seriously and they keep on saying things like its really unlikely because i know how to read and dyslexics cant read but there is loads of dyslexics who have learned how to read.

What makes you think you have dyslexia? It would probably be really helpful to you and whoever you’re talking to if you could put together some sort of list of “characteristics” you show.

A couple of links that might help get things started:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK332886/
https://dyslexiaida.org/dyslexia-test/

Same goes for ADHD :smile:
Reply 12
What makes you think you have dyslexia? It would probably be really helpful to you and whoever you’re talking to if you could put together some sort of list of “characteristics” you show.

A couple of links that might help get things started:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK332886/
https://dyslexiaida.org/dyslexia-test/

Same goes for ADHD :smile:

Ive told them that I struggle when reading out loud, and despite being a good reader I change words order constantly or read words wronge and struggle to pronounce them out loud. I cant spell the simplest of words and I can feel myself struggling in A levels cuase at gcse and primary teachers sort of jusst told me we know your struggling but never did anything about it or never told my mum I should go get tested. And they always said because my intelligence was high for my age I can't be dyslexic.
For the ADHD part of things, I have always been called 'lazy' and 'not there' because I get distracted so easily and cant focus for a small amount of time on a certain task. I have such like fast changes of hobbies, I dont know what its called, like I will get a hobby, do it for like a week like extreemly seriously to the point where I buy multiple things related to that hobby and then drop it so fast.

I know I dont show the like traditional symptoms for these learning difficulties but does that mean they can say I dont have anything and Im fine. I dont know what to say to them to convince them that I know something is up with me and I need to have some like reference so I can get the process started.

Have you mentioned ADHD to them?
Have you asked your parents/carer to speak to them on your behalf?
Reply 14
Have you mentioned ADHD to them?
Have you asked your parents/carer to speak to them on your behalf?

i havent mentioned adhd to this school, but i did to my secondary and to this school ive mentioned dyslexia but everyone keeps on saying its in my head and im fine and then im working above most students so i must be fine, but i litteraly know im not working at MY full potentiel but they dont care.
i havent mentioned adhd to this school, but i did to my secondary and to this school ive mentioned dyslexia but everyone keeps on saying its in my head and im fine and then im working above most students so i must be fine, but i litteraly know im not working at MY full potentiel but they dont care.

I would maybe try mentioning ADHD, although it doesn't look promising and if it doesn't go well I would go and speak to a GP about both.
Reply 16
I would maybe try mentioning ADHD, although it doesn't look promising and if it doesn't go well I would go and speak to a GP about both.

Oh thank you, because my mum is thinking of going to like the gp and asking for me because school seems to be taking the mick
It's not possible to be diagnosed with dyslexia on the NHS unfortunately because it is not considered a medical condition, school can do screening I think but a proper assessment has to be paid for privately.
Read up on ADHD and if you think you have it then go to the doctors with as much evidence as you can (ie write down all the relevant issues with examples). I'd do it asap as the wait could be years. It took 18 months to get my ASD diagnosis and that was before covid.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by JackSan123
It's not possible to be diagnosed with dyslexia on the NHS unfortunately because it is not considered a medical condition, school can do screening I think but a proper assessment has to be paid for privately.
Read up on ADHD and if you think you have it then go to the doctors with as much evidence as you can (ie write down all the relevant issues with examples). I'd do it asap as the wait could be years. It took 18 months to get my ASD diagnosis and that was before covid.

oh ok thank you, because i didnt know if you had to pay or if you could get it covered. does the adhd come under the nhs ?
oh ok thank you, because i didnt know if you had to pay or if you could get it covered. does the adhd come under the nhs ?

ADHD can be diagnosed by the NHS

Quick Reply

Latest