The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to get an autistic assessment as an adult?

I've already been diagnosed with ADHD and my ADHD psychiatrist also diagnosed me with 'borderline autism' so I have some symptoms. I went to do more research on autism and I feel like I 100% have it. Is it worth it to spend some of my maintenance loan from uni to get a more comprehensive assessment, or is the diagnosis from my adhd psychiatrist enough? My psychiatrist did not really confirm whether or not I had autism but just used some kind of scale and found that I sat on the baseline of autism.
Well "worth" depends on what your goal is with spending more for a more definitive diagnosis. If it's just for your personal peace of mind then, since you've had some confirmation from your psychiatrist currently it's up to you whether that is sufficient for you personally or not.

If it's for e.g. documenting for reasonable adjustments at your uni through applying for DSA etc, then it may or may not be sufficient - I suspect a letter from your psychiatrist saying the same as what they told you (along with the other details of your ADHD diagnosis which you probably are already going to be wanting a letter for anyway) may suffice by itself.

If not you could always pursue a more definitive diagnosis with them. Equally though for the reasonable adjustments and DSA angle, consider whether this would actually lead to any adjustments you won't already be able to get with just the ADHD diagnosis anyway. I suspect that would cover a lot of the adjustments anyway already so it might not really make a difference for that purpose in the end :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well "worth" depends on what your goal is with spending more for a more definitive diagnosis. If it's just for your personal peace of mind then, since you've had some confirmation from your psychiatrist currently it's up to you whether that is sufficient for you personally or not.

If it's for e.g. documenting for reasonable adjustments at your uni through applying for DSA etc, then it may or may not be sufficient - I suspect a letter from your psychiatrist saying the same as what they told you (along with the other details of your ADHD diagnosis which you probably are already going to be wanting a letter for anyway) may suffice by itself.

If not you could always pursue a more definitive diagnosis with them. Equally though for the reasonable adjustments and DSA angle, consider whether this would actually lead to any adjustments you won't already be able to get with just the ADHD diagnosis anyway. I suspect that would cover a lot of the adjustments anyway already so it might not really make a difference for that purpose in the end :smile:

Yh I just got my adhd diagnosis report and it mainly focused on my ADHD. Still, in the report, my Psychiatrist recommended a referral for me on the NHS for an autism assessment, which I am waiting for. Still, because it's 'baseline autism', I might get rejected and immediately forced me to jump into thinking of a private assessment. I think ADHD and Autism generally get the same benefits in UNI so I might pass getting an Autism private assessment...for now. It really is 'bugging' me and I feel like I want a more definitive diagnosis but 1) It's expensive and 2) It doesn't feel right telling people that I am autistic without clear evidence. However, I feel like if I don't waste my maintenance loan on stupid things then I can 100% afford it. I'm also thinking of getting a part-time job so I don't know yet.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yh I just got my adhd diagnosis report and it mainly focused on my ADHD. Still, in the report, my Psychiatrist recommended a referral for me on the NHS for an autism assessment, which I am waiting for. Still, because it's 'baseline autism', I might get rejected and immediately forced me to jump into thinking of a private assessment. I think ADHD and Autism generally get the same benefits in UNI so I might pass getting an Autism private assessment...for now. It really is 'bugging' me and I feel like I want a more definitive diagnosis but 1) It's expensive and 2) It doesn't feel right telling people that I am autistic without clear evidence. However, I feel like if I don't waste my maintenance loan on stupid things then I can 100% afford it. I'm also thinking of getting a part-time job so I don't know yet.

Well remember just because you don't do it now doesn't mean you can't do it in future.

I'd suggest seeing how the NHS route pans out with the psychiatrist's referral and make a decision then. No reason to decide now and you may not need to spend any money for it 🙂
I've already been diagnosed with ADHD and my ADHD psychiatrist also diagnosed me with 'borderline autism' so I have some symptoms. I went to do more research on autism and I feel like I 100% have it. Is it worth it to spend some of my maintenance loan from uni to get a more comprehensive assessment, or is the diagnosis from my adhd psychiatrist enough? My psychiatrist did not really confirm whether or not I had autism but just used some kind of scale and found that I sat on the baseline of autism.

Hi,
I'm autistic and was diagnoised at 18. For me it was definitely worth it as it gave me peace of mind and other adjustments (saying this I don't have ADHD or anything else they would make adjustments for)
I know the NHS waiting list is really long a couple of things that I would suggest
1) Ask about the right to choose as you can pick a region with a shorter waiting list
2) If you are unsure and get your name down now if you decide it isn't something you want and you decide against it you can remove your name but if you decide yes then you will already be higher up on the waiting list
3) Have you talked to the uni about this as they might be able to offer some extra support potentially and they might even have their own referal list
I totally understand what you are saying about not wanting to tell people your autistic without a diganosis but I was told to use the phrase working diagnosis or probable so it explains you don't have the diagnosis / yet but they might be more understanding
I would also say I have some friends that have ADHD and autism and they seem to score lower on the scales for both (not that it effects them less) but because some of the traits are contradictory it can make the scoring seem less
Also just a minor thing the majority of autistic people call them traits rather than symptoms as symptoms is normally associated with an illness and wanting a cure but whatever you want to call them is okay
Reply 5
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
I'm autistic and was diagnoised at 18. For me it was definitely worth it as it gave me peace of mind and other adjustments (saying this I don't have ADHD or anything else they would make adjustments for)
I know the NHS waiting list is really long a couple of things that I would suggest
1) Ask about the right to choose as you can pick a region with a shorter waiting list
2) If you are unsure and get your name down now if you decide it isn't something you want and you decide against it you can remove your name but if you decide yes then you will already be higher up on the waiting list
3) Have you talked to the uni about this as they might be able to offer some extra support potentially and they might even have their own referal list
I totally understand what you are saying about not wanting to tell people your autistic without a diganosis but I was told to use the phrase working diagnosis or probable so it explains you don't have the diagnosis / yet but they might be more understanding
I would also say I have some friends that have ADHD and autism and they seem to score lower on the scales for both (not that it effects them less) but because some of the traits are contradictory it can make the scoring seem less
Also just a minor thing the majority of autistic people call them traits rather than symptoms as symptoms is normally associated with an illness and wanting a cure but whatever you want to call them is okay

Thanks man, I'll take ur advice. I was looking on the internet, and it seems very unlikely that I will ever receive a diagnosis through the NHS as the waiting lists are so long, and it doesn't really matter where; it's just long. So I'll likely go thru some private clinic or smth in the future. Did you go through the NHS or private route to get your diagnosis? And if you went through the NHS, did you fight for a higher position on the waiting lists by overexaggerating your traits and your position as a student? I feel like if I do change my mind and go through the NHS I might do that lol because I am technically still a student in UNI.
Also, at first, I didn't really understand the difference between ADHD and Autism, but the more I researched about Autism, I felt I had more of the 'traits' from the female autistic POV (obvi). I feel like autism is vastly different between girls and boys. Life is really weird when you have both ADHD and Autism.
Thanks man, I'll take ur advice. I was looking on the internet, and it seems very unlikely that I will ever receive a diagnosis through the NHS as the waiting lists are so long, and it doesn't really matter where; it's just long. So I'll likely go thru some private clinic or smth in the future. Did you go through the NHS or private route to get your diagnosis? And if you went through the NHS, did you fight for a higher position on the waiting lists by overexaggerating your traits and your position as a student? I feel like if I do change my mind and go through the NHS I might do that lol because I am technically still a student in UNI.
Also, at first, I didn't really understand the difference between ADHD and Autism, but the more I researched about Autism, I felt I had more of the 'traits' from the female autistic POV (obvi). I feel like autism is vastly different between girls and boys. Life is really weird when you have both ADHD and Autism.

I mean you will get an assessment on the NHS it might take a long time
You would need to make sure that the private assessment is credited by the NHS otherwise it won't be accepted by places
I did mine by the NHS and no I didn't exergate my traits as that's just wrong and also neither of those options would increase your place you get placed on the bottom of the list there's no way to insert yourself into the middle of the list
Just make sure that when you have the assessment either private or NHS that you are honest about your experience so you get the right diagnosis
Was your ADHD done privately or NHS the NHS ones are combined so they would have told you if you qualify for both
Reply 7
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I mean you will get an assessment on the NHS it might take a long time
You would need to make sure that the private assessment is credited by the NHS otherwise it won't be accepted by places
I did mine by the NHS and no I didn't exergate my traits as that's just wrong and also neither of those options would increase your place you get placed on the bottom of the list there's no way to insert yourself into the middle of the list
Just make sure that when you have the assessment either private or NHS that you are honest about your experience so you get the right diagnosis
Was your ADHD done privately or NHS the NHS ones are combined so they would have told you if you qualify for both

Yh ur right, I'll just be honest about my traits. My ADHD assessment was done privately, but I didn't know some institutions don't accept ur diagnosis if it isn't credited by the NHS...if your curious I did mine by The ADHD Centre and it was an online consultation. Very expensive (took up most of my maintenance loan) but the psychiatrist was very professional and educated. I trust them.

Ngl I am worried that my autism referral may be rejected because my ADHD referral actually got rejected by the NHS which frustratingly forced me to look at private clinics.

Quick Reply

Latest