The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of bath

Hi, I have been accepted to study maths and econ at bath which was my insurance choice so am looking to go there in September. I was wondering if someone could help me out with getting to know a little more about bath, specifically applying for accommodation as for those who have not yet got one will get to apply again on the 22nd. Firstly is it likely for me to get an accommodation as they have said it is on a non guaranteed basis. Secondly which accommodations are the best in terms of being close to the campus/gym/other people
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I want to give some input so I'll give it my best shot. I had Bath as my firm and I've visited the city several times and attended an open day. You are right about accommodation opening up on the 22nd, be as quick as possible once it does open. It's very likely that you will get some sort of accommodation (dependent on how quick you are on the 22nd, availability, etc.) but do not expect en-suite. If you have any mental or physical conditions, they can prioritise you for allocation so do use the online form if applicable. Check out one of the online campus maps to locate each accommodation building, and how they are relative to the maths and econ departments (Brendon Court seems the closest to the econ building). In my opinion, the majority of accommodation provides ample access to central campus and so its hard to go wrong. I've heard that most halls are sociable (particularly the quads), in regards to shared accommodation, Norwood and eastwood/westwood would be up there too. I have to mention though that I've heard some grim things about eastwood, with many saying its the one place to avoid, so take that as you will.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by User08928719
Hi, I have been accepted to study maths and econ at bath which was my insurance choice so am looking to go there in September. I was wondering if someone could help me out with getting to know a little more about bath, specifically applying for accommodation as for those who have not yet got one will get to apply again on the 22nd. Firstly is it likely for me to get an accommodation as they have said it is on a non guaranteed basis. Secondly which accommodations are the best in terms of being close to the campus/gym/other people

Unless it's specified as "city" accommodation, all university-owned accommodation blocks are on campus. It's a pretty small campus (probably 10 mins maximum from one end to the other) so you don't need to worry about not being close to anything! I don't know specifically about maths and econ, but I think that most subjects spread out a bit and aren't limited to just one building (I have had biology and pharmacology lectures in 3E, the "economics" building, for example).

Campus map: https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/claverton-down-campus-map/ (https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/claverton-down-campus-map/attachments/university-campus-map.pdf)

Also would like to say that I was in city accommodation in first year and really enjoyed it close to shops, got to know Bath pretty well, and there are frequent buses up to campus if you don't fancy walking or cycling!

Sorry I don't know about the "non-guaranteed basis" stuff, but hope this helps a bit, feel free to ask any more questions you have :smile:
Also there are a number of University of Bath threads on TSR (e.g. the "sticky" UoB accommodation thread): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49 where you might find more answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest