The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath or Lancaster for Biochemistry?????

Daughter is massively struggling to choose between Bath and Lancaster for Biochemistry.
She loves both cities...Bath IS prettier but Lancaster is on the doorstep of the Lakes.
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same
Lancaster campus possibly slightly bigger with more shops/bars/eateries
Lancaster seems to win on cost of living
Bath placement programme is a big pull

Help her decide !!
Original post by Julieb3108
Daughter is massively struggling to choose between Bath and Lancaster for Biochemistry.
She loves both cities...Bath IS prettier but Lancaster is on the doorstep of the Lakes.
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

Bath - placement opportunities.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Bath - placement opportunities.

That's what we keep coming back to !
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

Hi,

I am currently a Second Year Modern Languages student at the University of Bath who has lived in both the city and on campus, and here is a balanced look at Bath:

Pros:
- Placement Opportunities: Here at the University of Bath we have an amazing placements teams for every subject, who work closely with students to ensure that they have the best support imaginable! We are currently ranked 5th for career prospects after 15 months by the Guardian University Guide 2023. For my Year Abroad I am going to be working and living in Austria for the whole year as a Language Assistant in two different schools!
- Student Support + Satisfaction: The University prioritise the mental and physical wellbeing of their students, through 24/7 wellbeing support, accessible ways of applying for mitigating circumstances, loans and bursaries for vulnerable students, opportunities to walk local cats and dogs for relaxation, a petting zoo on campus etc. The incredible support for all students is reflected in our Student Satisfaction score of 86%, meaning we are ranked 1st In England for Student Satisfaction!
- Beautiful place to live: There is no doubt that Bath, being a MUNESCO world heritage city, is a stunning place to visit and live in. There is so much to see and do from the free student access to the Roman Baths, to the beautiful Skyline Walk which gives you the best views of Bath!

Cons:
- Cost of Living: There is no doubt that Bath has a high cost of living, both for students as well as other bath residents. This is a partially unavoidable element of living in such a beautiful town like Bath, however there are still lots of options to live a bit cheaper in Bath. There are lots of loans, bursaries and scholarships available as well as hundreds of jobs on campus which have respectful work environments and pay a salary of at least £10 an hour. We understand that living in Bath is not possible for everyone, and so it is always important to highlight the higher cost of living.
- Less diversity: Due to Bath being a smaller town in the South-West and other factors, there tends to be less diversity than in other universities, such as London universities. Whilst the university have made this a top priority, with many different schemes and groups to encourage diversity, there is still a lot of improvement to be made. This may be a huge factor for some applicants and something to definitely be aware of.
There are some first-hand accounts of students from different backgrounds, ethnicities and cultures not only on the student room (the university has no influence over these) but also on our website to find out more:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/target-bath/
https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/students/category/pre-univerisity-programmes/target-bath/

We hope that this helps and please do let us know if you have any more questions!
Sophia (2nd Year Modern Languages)
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

Hi @Julieb3108,

I'm currently a second-year at Lancaster studying chemistry. I love it here because of the campus and that was what drew me initially. I would suggest that you maybe try to attend an open-day or offer-holder event because it really helps you to get a feel of the university and what the department you'll be a part of is like. Also, compare the compulsory modules and optional modules.
The biochemistry course here can also offer a placement year, which would improve employability prospects further.
The cost of living here is reasonable and there is plenty of student accommodation in the city that most people move into in second-year. I like living in the city because it creates some separation with the uni. The city is not massive, which I prefer, but Preston and Lancaster are close enough to visit for the day when I want to. Also, I can just hop on the bus or train to the Lakes for the day in the summer as well.
Hope this helps and good luck!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Julieb3108,

I'm currently a second-year at Lancaster studying chemistry. I love it here because of the campus and that was what drew me initially. I would suggest that you maybe try to attend an open-day or offer-holder event because it really helps you to get a feel of the university and what the department you'll be a part of is like. Also, compare the compulsory modules and optional modules.
The biochemistry course here can also offer a placement year, which would improve employability prospects further.
The cost of living here is reasonable and there is plenty of student accommodation in the city that most people move into in second-year. I like living in the city because it creates some separation with the uni. The city is not massive, which I prefer, but Preston and Lancaster are close enough to visit for the day when I want to. Also, I can just hop on the bus or train to the Lakes for the day in the summer as well.
Hope this helps and good luck!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thanks Beth,

I think her gut feeling is to go with Lancaster...it's pretty much on a par with Bath in many respects but she loved the campus and like you, loves the idea of being able to visit the Lakes for the day. Hoping to come back up in a weeks time to have a better look around the city etc as the offer holder day was a bit of a whirlwind tour after not having attended the main open day previously

Quick Reply

Latest