The Student Room Group

Supercurricular/ work experience ideas help needed!!!!

Hey, I'm in year 12 now and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some ideas for supercurricular activities or work experiences linked to economics? I haven't really done much yet, and I'm kinda worried I'm falling behind. It's making me anxious because I won't have much to put in my personal statement. I also didn't do Duke of Edinburgh, will that put me into a disadvantage
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Student1239740
Hey, I'm in year 12 now and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some ideas for extracurriculars or work experiences tied to economics? I haven't really done much yet, and I'm kinda worried I'm falling behind. It's making me anxious because I won't have much to put in my personal statement. I also didn't do Duke of Edinburgh, will that put me into a disadvantage

CREST Awards (Gold or silver at the minimum) are quite good if you wish to apply as a stem major. Duke of Edinburgh is fun, however, you do not need to do it for your application, rather it would be more meaningful to do each part separately, such as spending more time with projects / tailored volunteering.
Original post by Student1239740
Hey, I'm in year 12 now and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some ideas for supercurricular activities or work experiences linked to economics? I haven't really done much yet, and I'm kinda worried I'm falling behind. It's making me anxious because I won't have much to put in my personal statement. I also didn't do Duke of Edinburgh, will that put me into a disadvantage

Economics is an academic degree. You don’t need work experience or volunteering.

your super curriculars should be academic in nature and related ideally to your genuine academic interests within economics. Take moocs, watch documentaries, read blogs, listen to podcasts, read newspapers….then reflect on what you have read/heard. Was it interesting? Surprising? Challenging? Difficult to understand? What was your response to your reaction - did you find out more? Look for different sources of information on the same topic? Expand into a new topic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending