The Student Room Group

Personal statements and extracurriculars

Hi!! I'm applying to University for 2023 entry, and I had a careers appt today about my personal statement. She advised me to leave out all extracurriculars except my music grades. I am applying to Oxford, which I think is why she recommended taking these things out, but I also have four other universities I would be just as happy going to. Is this wise? I thought most universities were looking for at least one paragraph on extracurriculars? Please help!!
I would say definitely keep your extracurriculars it's what'll make you stand out, if your applying for music obviously talk about why it interests you but still keep your extracurriculars and think of a way to link that to how it would make you a better candidate.
Original post by ilovedonutss
I would say definitely keep your extracurriculars it's what'll make you stand out, if your applying for music obviously talk about why it interests you but still keep your extracurriculars and think of a way to link that to how it would make you a better candidate.

ok great thank u so much!! that's what I thought as well it seems weird to leave out all the things that set me apart
I would go with your careers advisor. I have one sentence about an extracurricular which I linked to my subject. If you are applying to Oxford, I guess your other 4 uni as also also academic unis, so they will be want to read about why you want to study the subject and supracurriculars. What you do in you spare time unrelated to your course is not going to be of interest to an academic.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'd leave it as a sentence or 2 at max on extracurriculars, and only include the ones that really make you stand out (i.e. not D of E)

I was told 5% to 10% of my personal statement for Oxford should be on extracurriculars (200 to 400 characters)
Original post by charlottewright
Hi!! I'm applying to University for 2023 entry, and I had a careers appt today about my personal statement. She advised me to leave out all extracurriculars except my music grades. I am applying to Oxford, which I think is why she recommended taking these things out, but I also have four other universities I would be just as happy going to. Is this wise? I thought most universities were looking for at least one paragraph on extracurriculars? Please help!!

Heya!
I would recommend keeping your extracurricular activities in - extracurricular activities are important as they show that you take the initiative and do extra work to get into the course and uni you have picked. However, don't write paragraphs on it, perhaps 2 sentences of extracurricular activities which will make you stand out :h:
Submit reply
I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
No need to put your music grades in your PS at all, you can add them in the qualifications section. (I guess technically you should add every grade you've ever taken, but in practice what people do is put the highest level for each instrument + theory, it's understood that if you have grade 8 you almost certainly also have grades 1-7).

A paragraph (more likely, a sentence) about what you do in your spare time is fine, but extracurriculars haven't been a big deal for any UK university for many decades. It's not like the US - all you're really doing is giving the impression that you're not having to study 18 hours a day to cope with your schoolwork. You're probably looking for something along the lines (length-wise) of "in my spare time, I play the tuba in the county schools orchestra, help run the local junior triathlon club, make jewellry which I sell on etsy, and grow prize carrots."

(If you're applying for music, then the music stuff becomes supercurriculars rather than extracurriculars and you'd have more of it in the PS.)
The best thing to do with your extra-curriculars is to briefly mention them but link them to a skill - so if you say you have been doing music, then mention how that has made you resilient and good at organisation (or whatever skill you want to highlight). Don’t just put them in isolation.
No university in the uk wants to hear about your hobbies when you could be giving more details about your interest and activities relevant to your degree subject.

Even 1 or 2 sentences is likely to be superfluous. Paragraph spaces would be more useful.
Original post by booklover1313
The best thing to do with your extra-curriculars is to briefly mention them but link them to a skill - so if you say you have been doing music, then mention how that has made you resilient and good at organisation (or whatever skill you want to highlight). Don’t just put them in isolation.

OP - please don’t do this. Admissions staff are able to infer skills you don’t need to waste space spelling it out. If you do want to demonstrate skills in your PS then that requires giving SPECIFIC EXAMPLES of something that you did that demonstrates a skill.

Resilient? Tell us what the set back was, your approach to it, how that worked, what you’d do differently.

Organisation? Tell us about a specific time when you had to manage your time and what that means - pulling an all nighter or a study schedule isn’t good organisation, saying no, managing expectations, team work to share workload, negotiating extensions, using different techniques to streamline a process to get more done in a limited time - that’s good organisation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Typhoons
I would go with your careers advisor. I have one sentence about an extracurricular which I linked to my subject. If you are applying to Oxford, I guess your other 4 uni as also also academic unis, so they will be want to read about why you want to study the subject and supracurriculars. What you do in you spare time unrelated to your course is not going to be of interest to an academic.

hey, do you mind explaining what are supercurriculars and give examples. preferably supercurriculars related to finance/ economics.
Original post by skylark2
No need to put your music grades in your PS at all, you can add them in the qualifications section. (I guess technically you should add every grade you've ever taken, but in practice what people do is put the highest level for each instrument + theory, it's understood that if you have grade 8 you almost certainly also have grades 1-7).

A paragraph (more likely, a sentence) about what you do in your spare time is fine, but extracurriculars haven't been a big deal for any UK university for many decades. It's not like the US - all you're really doing is giving the impression that you're not having to study 18 hours a day to cope with your schoolwork. You're probably looking for something along the lines (length-wise) of "in my spare time, I play the tuba in the county schools orchestra, help run the local junior triathlon club, make jewellry which I sell on etsy, and grow prize carrots."

(If you're applying for music, then the music stuff becomes supercurriculars rather than extracurriculars and you'd have more of it in the PS.)

hey, do you mind explaining what are the difference between supercurriculars and extraciriculalrs. can you give examples preferably supercurriculars related to finance/ economics.
Original post by malakiebind
hey, do you mind explaining what are the difference between supercurriculars and extraciriculalrs. can you give examples preferably supercurriculars related to finance/ economics.

If you put "supercurriculars extracurriculars difference" into Google you'll find loads of explanations and examples.
Reply 14
hi, i am a 15 year old and i just started a website explaing all complex physics concepts into simpler versions. like time dilation, reletivity. i am a fast lerner and understand things easily, thats why it was easy for my to analyse those topics. i have also landed a work experience as a research observer at a university near by. i wanted to know if these are considered superextracurriculars, or do i need to do more. i want to get into oxford and potentially study physics and astrophysics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending