The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge HSPS Applicants For 2024 Entry

Hey all!

I'm a gap year student who wishes to join Cambridge reading HSPS. Thought it would be a good idea to get all of us HSPS applicants together in one place so that we may help each other and build up help outside of school.

To get things going:

Supercurriculars? Books? Work experience you wish to mention in PS?
Subjects you take?
Politics? Sociology? Which subject branch will you pursue or you are most interested in?
Original post by salamich
Hey all!

I'm a gap year student who wishes to join Cambridge reading HSPS. Thought it would be a good idea to get all of us HSPS applicants together in one place so that we may help each other and build up help outside of school.

To get things going:

Supercurriculars? Books? Work experience you wish to mention in PS?
Subjects you take?
Politics? Sociology? Which subject branch will you pursue or you are most interested in?

Hello! Thanks for making this thread. Let me know if there's anything I can help with :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pembroke Rep
Hello! Thanks for making this thread. Let me know if there's anything I can help with :smile:

Hey! Thanks to you too :smile:

I do have a question related to admissions: As a gap-year student, would I need to change the personal statement I originally sent in to Cambridge (for which I got an interview)? Would I need a new teacher reference? I am also worried about resits since I am certain I may have missed the Cambridge requirements by a grade (in a subject not quite relevant to HSPS though). Would greatly appreciate help for these!
Original post by salamich
Hey! Thanks to you too :smile:

I do have a question related to admissions: As a gap-year student, would I need to change the personal statement I originally sent in to Cambridge (for which I got an interview)? Would I need a new teacher reference? I am also worried about resits since I am certain I may have missed the Cambridge requirements by a grade (in a subject not quite relevant to HSPS though). Would greatly appreciate help for these!

All applications are reviewed as completely new applications, however we would expect you to have explored your subject further in the year between your first and second application. Therefore it would be likely that you have new things to say about your interests, or your interests may have changed completely!

You will need to ask a teacher to provide you with a reference. You can't fill this section in yourself so you will need to ask someone if they are happy to provide a reference for you. It doesn't have to be a different teacher to before.

We understand that you might need to resit an exam or retake an AS or A level unit. However, we'd be concerned if you have to retake a lot of exams. This is because Cambridge students are regularly assessed by exam and it's not normally possible to resit them. If you need to retake a lot of exams because of circumstances beyond your control, your teacher should explain this. They can do this in your UCAS reference and the Extenuating Circumstances Form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending