The Student Room Group

Can anyone taking A-level Economics let me know what it is like

Is it worth studying Economics at A-level? is it content-heavy? is it interesting?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by lila__
Is it worth studying Economics at A-level? is it content-heavy? is it interesting?

hii i picked to study economics on a whim bc i didn’t know what to do, and im so glad i did! i’m going to study it for university even.

it is slightly content heavy as with any other a level. if you like the sound of it and are interested i’d definitely recommend going for it !
Content heavy, but still engaging. I think a big problem with A Level Economics is that it doesn't really serve as a taster for what Economics is like at university because of the complete lack of mathematics in it. I found it interesting to study, but the lack of problem solving was somewhat disappointing.
Reply 4
Original post by lila__

hello!
i chose economics as a third A-leve after not being so sure about what subject to pair with A-level Maths and Further maths.
I have since applied to do an Economics Bsc at multiple universities.:yep:
I really love the subject since it has such strong ties with current afairs, and has even helped me understand them better, i find that it is also a very good subject to read around, lots of great well written and accessible books out there, which has honestly made me appreciate the importance and understand some niche concepts better.

I would definitely consider economics A-level as it has applications in most aspects of the real world, which is a really nice unique thing about the subject !:grin:

Reply 5
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Content heavy, but still engaging. I think a big problem with A Level Economics is that it doesn't really serve as a taster for what Economics is like at university because of the complete lack of mathematics in it. I found it interesting to study, but the lack of problem solving was somewhat disappointing.

I completely vouch for this, I chose it along side A level maths and further maths, and it was a dissapointment to find out all the maths we do is percentage change... but nontheless its still an interesting subject.
Can't wait to begin my Economics degree to finally bring maths and economics together :grin:
Yeah that and the over-emphasis on macroeconomics makes it kind of unrelated to degree level economics. But still, I don't regret taking it one bit. Just think the course could have been a lot better.
Reply 7
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Yeah that and the over-emphasis on macroeconomics makes it kind of unrelated to degree level economics. But still, I don't regret taking it one bit. Just think the course could have been a lot better.

I also think A-level economics is quite.. fluffy... if thats the way to put it, yeahi guess there is quiet a heavy focus on macroeconomics now that you mention it.
Do you do an economics degree?

Quick Reply

Latest