The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway or Reading for Ecology + Conservation ?

hello.

which do you think is better for prospects / general experience?
Royal Holloway or Reading Uni:
for taking Ecology + Conservation?

Having looked through the unis that offer it they seem to have the best modules (without the weather being too cold!), lmk what u guys think!

I do worry that the entry req. for Holloway is too low? Even though they seem to be ranked a bit higher.

thank you, have a nice day :smile:
Reply 1
I would really recommend going round both and seeing the area they are in and the vibe of the departments. I don't have personal experience of either but I think they are both perfectly fine and in the end it is how you feel about them that matters most.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Go to their Open Days.
Listen to the course presntations and make your own decision about what is best for your interests.
Original post by vaxgyarados
hello.

Having looked through the unis that offer it they seem to have the best modules (without the weather being too cold!), lmk what u guys think!

I do worry that the entry req. for Holloway is too low? Even though they seem to be ranked a bit higher.

Hey @vaxgyarados,

Whilst I can't offer a personal insight into the course, one of our current Ecology students Becs can! She's currently in her 3rd year of the course and will be happy to answer any questions you have from her perspective. Just click on the hyperlinked name and you can chat to her directly.

Personally, I've loved my experience of being a student at/living in Reading so far, as I feel like it's a place that can work for everyone, no matter what kind of lifestyle you lead. There's plenty to do for everyone, from every society you could think of, to bars and restaurants, and so on, but is also not as busy as main cities for those who like quieter lifestyles. The campus is also super green and there's lots of nature which is one of my favourite things, as well as it feeling like a super welcoming place when I visited on an open day!

Obviously I can't suggest what would be the most suitable fit for you as an individual though, so I would definitely suggest going along to open days to get a feel for the places and see where you feel most at home as well as looking into the course in depth and the other things on offer at the universities, such as societies for your interests etc, as you are ultimately the only one who will know where you will be happiest! You can register your interest for one of our open days in october here if you are interested!

Hope this helps a little, but if you have any questions in particular, please let us know - we'd love to help if we can.

Good luck with your university search!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 4
Dear Vaxgyarados,

It's great that you want to get into conservation as a career, but deciding the right course can of course be a challenge as there are such a range of courses to choose from. From the choices you have mentioned I can see from their course web pages that Reading and Royal Holloway are very natural science focussed, but have you considered the University of Kent as possible option?

I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the range of natural science modules that you could take on the BSc Wildlife Conservation course to really tailor it to your interests. For example, if the natural sciences is your passion, then there are module options that explore evolutionary genetics, the diversity of living organisms, the function of plants and animals, biological anthropology, the biology of mammals, hormones and behaviour, and the opportunity to go on a research field field trip to conduct tropical ecology surveys. There are also a range of geographical and anthropological modules that you can choose from as well which add another perspective to the nature and challenges facing the conservation sector.

In terms of entry requirements it is BBB for A Levels including a natural science subject. As for statistics, Geography and Environmental Studies at Kent was ranked 1st in the UK for research output in the Times Higher Education. I would say that when it comes to making a difference in the conservation sector, conducting and engaging in quality research is an absolute necessity.

Just to introduce myself, I am a student from the University of Kent studying Wildlife Conservation with a Year in Professional Practice. I am currently on my Placement Year and have found the course to be incredibly useful and fulfilling so far. I have found the student and staff community, alongside the expert teaching within the School of Anthropology and Conservation, to be really engaging and supportive; you really feel that you are a part of active conservation network. The school is also a part of the Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE), which is unique to the University of Kent. As an institute it strives to conserve biodiversity and the ecological processes that humans as a species depend upon by breaking down of scientific barriers and improving conservation policy and management through groundbreaking research and teaching. When I was applying for universities this really set Kent apart from the others as a true investment into my future career and my desire to really make a difference in the conservation sector. The option to do a Year in Professional Practice was also a great opportunity for me to improve my ecological and employability skills, as well as make useful networking connections in my preferred conservation field.

I hope that you found my experiences useful as you reflect on which course to choose. I ask you though, whether you are choosing a conservation course purely based on academics or social enrichment, why not choose one that offers both?

Best wishes,

George
Original post by vaxgyarados
hello.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending