The Student Room Group

Advice for self esteem and confidence when you keep having knocks down

Recently I’ve been struggling a lot, I suffer from anxiety and depression, but this year has been one of those years where things keep going wrong. I lost all my friends and got “let go” (fired) from my part time job which was the only thing I had to distract myself and keep busy during summer. Im going to university soon and a little worried about making friends because my mental health and ex friends calling me this and that has made me into a negative and bitter person. With low self esteem and confidence it’s hard to make fiends because people wanna be friends with those who make them happy and are positive, but I feel as though around others I bring them down with my state of mind. I just don’t know how to build up my confidence again and just be a happy person. All I want is to be happy. I’ve always been the nice person but it’s not benefitted me at all and I’m turning into the mean people who I’ve always resented. I’ve been getting therapy but it doesn’t seem to be working, it kinda just goes over my head and the cycle of self pity and anger repeats. Just asking for advice really on improving my self worth, happiness and positivity. Rant over:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I’ve been struggling a lot, I suffer from anxiety and depression, but this year has been one of those years where things keep going wrong. I lost all my friends and got “let go” (fired) from my part time job which was the only thing I had to distract myself and keep busy during summer. Im going to university soon and a little worried about making friends because my mental health and ex friends calling me this and that has made me into a negative and bitter person. With low self esteem and confidence it’s hard to make fiends because people wanna be friends with those who make them happy and are positive, but I feel as though around others I bring them down with my state of mind. I just don’t know how to build up my confidence again and just be a happy person. All I want is to be happy. I’ve always been the nice person but it’s not benefitted me at all and I’m turning into the mean people who I’ve always resented. I’ve been getting therapy but it doesn’t seem to be working, it kinda just goes over my head and the cycle of self pity and anger repeats. Just asking for advice really on improving my self worth, happiness and positivity. Rant over:smile:

Hello!

When it comes to anxiety and depression day to day life is not easy - But you have to remember how far you have come, and how you are now doing what you once wanted to do. You are off to university which is amazing! You have worked hard to get there, and should be proud of yourself. 🌞

To help with confidence you got try to never compare yourself to others, and to see you are still that happy person that you have always been. It is also okay to have bad days. Just because you are a good person, does not mean you have to lower your standards and expectations to how people treat you.

Some things I did to help myself was: Turned my social media notifications off, took up a new hobby, started going on long walks, reading more (what I used to love to do) and prioritising evenings to relax - these things helped me as a person, and by doing what I wanted helped me to start putting myself first.

When arriving at university this can seem so daunting, but everyone is in the same boat, they do not know anyone there and are all looking to make some new friends! This can be such an exciting experience where you are going to meet some friends for life!💚

I would also recommended joining a club and society - this is such a great way to make friends who you already share an interest with! You can join as may as you like, even if you have never done them before!

Whatever you university you are going to, you can also check out the support mental health support they offer to their students! Ours is here if you would like to use it: https://www.essex.ac.uk/student/mental-and-emotional-health.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Essex Official Rep - Morgan 😊✨

Quick Reply

Latest