The Student Room Group

will applying for deferred entry lessen my chances of getting uni offers?

i'm about to go into year 13 and am applying for modern languages, and i was wondering if taking a gap year would lessen my chances of getting an offer from unis like edinburgh, durham and bristol. i'd like to use the year to spend time in the countries in which the languages i'm learning are spoken, and would obviously mention this on my personal statement.
I'd say the opposite if anything depending on your A level results. Unis often like people if they've already received their grades. But if you're retaking A levels I'd say your chances are the same as everyone else
Reply 2
Original post by random_guy110
I'd say the opposite if anything depending on your A level results. Unis often like people if they've already received their grades. But if you're retaking A levels I'd say your chances are the same as everyone else

i'd be applying through deferred entry rather than applying in my gap year, so not sure if this would have a negative effect seeing as they would have to be sure that i was better than all of the candidates applying the following year
Original post by poppy_337
i'd be applying through deferred entry rather than applying in my gap year, so not sure if this would have a negative effect seeing as they would have to be sure that i was better than all of the candidates applying the following year

Ahhh sorry I misunderstood. Other than some unis for maths, I haven't heard of any unis having a problem with deferred entry or rating those applying for it below any other applicants.
Reply 4
It depends. I took a gap year and got into Durham without any issue. Oxford asked why I didn't have my other language (French) covered, as I was spending the entire year in Chile. Just something to bear in mind when planning it if you're thinking about applying to Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest