The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Is there any way I can be considered for extenuating circumstances?

I had an offer for 2022 entry physics at Manchester but due to mental health and a lot of anxieties I froze and didn't end up going (the uni withdrew me). I had emailed them today asking if there's anyway I can enrol this year and they got back to me saying id have to make a fresh application basically.

Is there no way I can do anything about this? Or do I just cut my losses. I'm so ashamed.
Original post by Anonymous
I had an offer for 2022 entry physics at Manchester but due to mental health and a lot of anxieties I froze and didn't end up going (the uni withdrew me). I had emailed them today asking if there's anyway I can enrol this year and they got back to me saying id have to make a fresh application basically.

Is there no way I can do anything about this? Or do I just cut my losses. I'm so ashamed.

For this year, realistically there is nothing you can do. Your 2022 offer was withdrawn, (they can't just hold a place for you indefinitely, espeically if you didn't engage with them previously), and their clearing activity for 2023 is over, (if Physics was even available, it could have closed to new applications in January).

I would have a think as to whether you would consider applying for 2024 entry. You've got plenty of time to put a good application together, as well working and saving money for your studies.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
For this year, realistically there is nothing you can do. Your 2022 offer was withdrawn, (they can't just hold a place for you indefinitely, espeically if you didn't engage with them previously), and their clearing activity for 2023 is over, (if Physics was even available, it could have closed to new applications in January).

I would have a think as to whether you would consider applying for 2024 entry. You've got plenty of time to put a good application together, as well working and saving money for your studies.

Thank you for the reply. By engagement, I want to ask if the uni would be expected to ask through email if I intend to enrol? I never received an email about them withdrawing me or intending to, neither did I receive emails about me starting uni even though I held a place. And I did ask to be enrolled near the end of October last year but got no response (as I assume would be expected). I know they are weak but is there any chance I can tell them this? Along with the fact that I couldn't ask to be deferred etc as I was really stressed and held in a lot of problems then.

I really want to try in the hopes for them to somehow override the normal process.
Since you didn't defer you'll have to reapply fresh for 2024
Reply 4
Since you didn't defer you'll have to reapply fresh for 2024

I didn't no but is there any way the uni can do that? Or since its been withdrawn can they not change it anymore?
Thank you for the reply. By engagement, I want to ask if the uni would be expected to ask through email if I intend to enrol? I never received an email about them withdrawing me or intending to, neither did I receive emails about me starting uni even though I held a place. And I did ask to be enrolled near the end of October last year but got no response (as I assume would be expected). I know they are weak but is there any chance I can tell them this? Along with the fact that I couldn't ask to be deferred etc as I was really stressed and held in a lot of problems then.

I really want to try in the hopes for them to somehow override the normal process.

Assuming you were unconditional on UCAS in 2022, they will have sent you information about enrolling, but it's not up to them to follow that up with you.

Even if an enrolment email did go astray, you didn't reach out to them and have never held an offer for 2023. I think you need to accept that they're not going to change their position now, especially as your offer was from a previous cycle.

I can't see any reason why Manchester would do this. They almost certainly haven't got any spaces this year and you ignored them for about 12 months.

If you have the grades and really want to go to Manchester then apply for next year.
I didn't no but is there any way the uni can do that? Or since its been withdrawn can they not change it anymore?

I highly doubt they'd be able to do anything since you were withdrawn from the course. Just reapply tbh probably less work than trying to find a roundabout way to get them to allow you to get back into a course you never enrolled on in the first place.
Reply 8
Assuming you were unconditional on UCAS in 2022, they will have sent you information about enrolling, but it's not up to them to follow that up with you.

Even if an enrolment email did go astray, you didn't reach out to them and have never held an offer for 2023. I think you need to accept that they're not going to change their position now, especially as your offer was from a previous cycle.

Thank you. I'm just in an emotional headspace, I can't believe I just let this go. An extra 2 years wasted *sigh*. I'd really hoped they'd sympathise as I was an offer holder and I even got to the accommodation but I guess I have no ground to even ask for that.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
I can't see any reason why Manchester would do this. They almost certainly haven't got any spaces this year and you ignored them for about 12 months.

If you have the grades and really want to go to Manchester then apply for next year.

I should've notified them I feel so dumb. But they didn't reach out either.

I wish, the grade requirements have gone up and I need an extra A*.

Well, you could resit. If not apply elsewhere.

Is this another thread by you?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7403255
Reply 12

yep why?
yep why?

Because in the other thread it says that you also opted out in 2021 as well as 2022. That's relevant information regarding the likelihood of Manchester taking you.
Reply 14
Because in the other thread it says that you also opted out in 2021 as well as 2022. That's relevant information regarding the likelihood of Manchester taking you.

I deferred 2021 I wish I did the same in 2022 or at least tried to..
I deferred 2021 I wish I did the same in 2022 or at least tried to..

Exactly. You knew the process so could have applied for deferment again.
Reply 16
Exactly. You knew the process so could have applied for deferment again.

Indeed its my fault. I'm just desperate now - I struggle to see a way out.
Indeed its my fault. I'm just desperate now - I struggle to see a way out.

The simple path is to apply elsewhere.
Reply 18

Hi Admit-One, I was reading the appeals process just now and considering you are part of admissions, can I ask if this could be worth doing? And if someone can hear me out about why I didn't defer back then? I don't want to waste their time, but I have a lot of time to waste now and nothing to lose.

If I do end up applying, they did say as their entry requirements have gone up they would advise me to a foundation year which I absolutely do not want to. I'm sure you can resit an a level or something which I don't want to do either but its better than another year by all means (in my circumstance), which if true I wonder why they didn't tell me this. I am an A* away (A to A*) from their entry requirements.
Hi Admit-One, I was reading the appeals process just now and considering you are part of admissions, can I ask if this could be worth doing? And if someone can hear me out about why I didn't defer back then? I don't want to waste their time, but I have a lot of time to waste now and nothing to lose.

If I do end up applying, they did say as their entry requirements have gone up they would advise me to a foundation year which I absolutely do not want to. I'm sure you can resit an a level or something which I don't want to do either but its better than another year by all means (in my circumstance), which if true I wonder why they didn't tell me this. I am an A* away (A to A*) from their entry requirements.

What would you be appealing on the basis of?

You haven’t really stated whether you received enrolment messages or not, but either way all offers are cleared off at the end of the cycle if they haven’t been deferred, (and if you’d already deferred once many unis won’t permit a second deferral). From the unis POV you were placed there and chose not to take it up. You’ve now rocked up a year later asking for a place.

I don’t think it’s worth appealing, but I appreciate you have nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending