The Student Room Group

English lit and lang GCSE help

I suck at english, I am predicted a 6 and a 7 but I'm aiming for an 8, and I'm starting year 11 in September. I am so bad at creative writing, and I cannot analyse anything for the life of me. My english teacher is so bad and she hates me (she called me a sissy once haha, I don't even think she studied english bcs she told us she did psychology...). I want to apply for UCL or LSE for econ, and definitely for LSE I think this will disadvantage me :frown: How can I improve within the next year? I feel like I'm running out of time.
Original post by Anonymous
I suck at english, I am predicted a 6 and a 7 but I'm aiming for an 8, and I'm starting year 11 in September. I am so bad at creative writing, and I cannot analyse anything for the life of me. My english teacher is so bad and she hates me (she called me a sissy once haha, I don't even think she studied english bcs she told us she did psychology...). I want to apply for UCL or LSE for econ, and definitely for LSE I think this will disadvantage me :frown: How can I improve within the next year? I feel like I'm running out of time.

Possibly use resources like GCSEPod, York notes, quizlet, or YouTube videos (Dystopia Junkie was great for me) to essentially teach you the materials so you have some analysis already.
Maybe also brainstorm a few basic creative writing plots to use in the exam ( could search up some but don’t plagiarise, make it your own) that can be adapted to whatever. Ignore your teacher, she’s probably underpaid, overworked and it’s made her miserable. Just do your best to work on your weak points. After doing what I’ve said above, it would be beneficial for you to do some past papers and maybe ask another teacher or an older student to mark them so you can see what you’re struggling most at.
Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

hey - don't worry you should have enough time i went from a 6 to a 9 in English language when i sat it a year early (yr 10) and i have recently finished year 11 with a predicted 9 in LIT
1 - what texts do you study for lit? and what poetry section... do you need help with them?
2 - for creative writing i'd suggest to memorise a big description that you could make into a story if need be (this is what i did and got like nearly 40 marks on paper 1 Q5. If you need an example of the structure and what to write i still have the story/description i wrote.
also for the other questions on language i would remember sentence starters so all i would have to look for in the texts is a technique and then talk about stuff to do with that technique that i memorised. E.g - if they used a technique to do with light imagery or any mention of light in your analysis you talk about - hope, redemption, utopia, societal change.
Hands - charity,
Nature - talk about the juxtaposition of the purity of nature with the hubris of humanity, transience of humanity, perhaps its weaponized as an allegory of something (war?),

If you need anymore help lmk
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending