The Student Room Group

How to become more competitive with myself?

I fee like I have become very complacent and satisfied with being ok at things when I should be more competitive in order to get to the career I want to be in. Other people have a lot going on and not just academics and even my academics aren’t stellar at the moment.

For others, its second nature to be doing a lot of extra curriculars ,volunteering, a part time job, good grades, internships, exercising more often, maintaining a decent social life, joining societies,
It feels out of my comfort zone and I want to become better at doing these things that feel out of my comfort zone as I spent so long being overly obssesed with academics when there are many other aspects that are important.

At the moment, I have:
- Part time job
- Volunteered at a charity
- Mediocre grades, definitely can be better
- Minimal social life because my friends and I are bad with plans
- Had a consistent workout routine for 6 weeks but fell off last month when there was a lot of stuff I needed to sort out
Original post by Anonymous
I fee like I have become very complacent and satisfied with being ok at things when I should be more competitive in order to get to the career I want to be in. Other people have a lot going on and not just academics and even my academics aren’t stellar at the moment.

For others, its second nature to be doing a lot of extra curriculars ,volunteering, a part time job, good grades, internships, exercising more often, maintaining a decent social life, joining societies,
It feels out of my comfort zone and I want to become better at doing these things that feel out of my comfort zone as I spent so long being overly obssesed with academics when there are many other aspects that are important.

At the moment, I have:
- Part time job
- Had a consistent workout routine for 6 weeks but fell off last month when there was a lot of stuff I needed to sort out

The only one who can understand you and take care of you, is you, yourself
So you must take care of yourself.
Reply 2

At the moment, I have:
- Part time job

It sounds to me like you don't have a particular goal / direction. You are doing stuff for the sake of it. What do you want? What do you want to achieve? Once you have decided on that, you can then consider being a bit more decisive and only do things in your life that either you enjoy or will take you a step closer to your goal.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
It sounds to me like you don't have a particular goal / direction. You are doing stuff for the sake of it. What do you want? What do you want to achieve? Once you have decided on that, you can then consider being a bit more decisive and only do things in your life that either you enjoy or will take you a step closer to your goal.

Good luck!

Thank you :smile:

I do have a goal, I just feel as though I do not have the guidance to get there. I have reached out to potential mentors but this has been unsuccessful. I’m in a group chat with like minded people with similar career plans to myself and the people in the group chat send helpful advice and programmes I wouldn’t have known about.
Reply 4
I do have a goal, I just feel as though I do not have the guidance to get there.

Ah - that's good to know. Right - so the solution is quite simple although there will be elements of the unknown. So you know what your goal is. Great. So the next question, is what do you need to do to achieve that goal? If the answer is "I don't know?", then that is the first question you need to answer and do it by hook or by crook. Once you know what you need to do, the next question to ask is "How do I do what I need to do to achieve my goal?" Again, if the answer is "I don't know?" continue to answer that question until you find something you can actually do. Then do that. At each step of the say ask yourself, "What do I need to do next?" and so on.

The point is that any point in time you are only either seeking to answer an "I don't know" question or doing the "thing" that is required to reach your goal. You may find that when you are half way there, you discover that in actual fact, your goal has shifted. And that is absolutely fine.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Ah - that's good to know. Right - so the solution is quite simple although there will be elements of the unknown. So you know what your goal is. Great. So the next question, is what do you need to do to achieve that goal? If the answer is "I don't know?", then that is the first question you need to answer and do it by hook or by crook. Once you know what you need to do, the next question to ask is "How do I do what I need to do to achieve my goal?" Again, if the answer is "I don't know?" continue to answer that question until you find something you can actually do. Then do that. At each step of the say ask yourself, "What do I need to do next?" and so on.

The point is that any point in time you are only either seeking to answer an "I don't know" question or doing the "thing" that is required to reach your goal. You may find that when you are half way there, you discover that in actual fact, your goal has shifted. And that is absolutely fine.

Good luck!

Thank you, this has really given me some perspective on what I can do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending