The Student Room Group

Dropping out of University

I am in my first year of a Chemistry degree but I am really not enjoying it, specifically the labs. I want to change my degree but I do not what I want to change it to because I don't like any of the A-levels I chose. I really wish I did A-level Maths and Physics to potentially go into Maths/Physics or Economics degree. But as I did not do them at A-level it is difficult for me to drop out and say that I 100% want to do that. I am worried that if i drop out and study maths A-level, that maybe after studying it I wont want to do it at degree level and now I have just lost my chance studying Chemistry at UCL if I just finished this degree. I really don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by Possumm8
I am in my first year of a Chemistry degree but I am really not enjoying it, specifically the labs. I want to change my degree but I do not what I want to change it to because I don't like any of the A-levels I chose. I really wish I did A-level Maths and Physics to potentially go into Maths/Physics or Economics degree. But as I did not do them at A-level it is difficult for me to drop out and say that I 100% want to do that. I am worried that if i drop out and study maths A-level, that maybe after studying it I wont want to do it at degree level and now I have just lost my chance studying Chemistry at UCL if I just finished this degree. I really don't know what to do :frown:

Life is too short to be doing stuff you don't like!! You have sooo much time to finish uni so do what makes you happy.
Reply 2
How's UCL chemistry? I've applied but am not sure if I want to go.

Hi there , you are in a really tough spot right now and I can only imagine how stressed you have been but I promise you many students go through similar. It's not easy to pick the one thing you want to do for the rest of your life and be 100% sure that your current interest will always be your interest or that you will even enjoy it.
I personally completed my first engineering degree and I loved it but once I got to the work force I realised that it wasn't going to get me in the industry I wanted or in the career I wanted. I am now in my second year of my second degree and I'm happy with this degree. The pro's are that I get to do the degree I want and will end up in the career I'm interested in and the con was that I spent 3 years getting a degree I could've lived without but ultimately the degree adds value to my CV and the knowledge I learnt was so helpful in my current degree. It made getting through this degree so much easier.
I would say think about what is important to you and what will make you happy and also what decision do you not mind standing by regardless of the outcome. I loved studying chemical engineering and even though it didn't put me in the industry I wanted the course was worth it , even the experiences with my Bestfriend and my personal growth made it worth it.
I hope this helps and you see that you're not alone. It's not easy making decisions like this but regardless make the best of whatever decision you make.
Cece
Energy engineering student
De Montfort University
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your time at university so far.

I think the most important thing to remember is that you need to make a decision that is right for you. It can be tough to figure out that what you thought was something you wanted actually isn't, so take care of yourself first, and then lay out all of your options.

I'd strongly recommend that you contact your personal tutor and/or other staff, as they can guide you through your options and help things to become a little clearer. If it is an option, maybe talk to your family about how you are feeling too, as they can also offer guidance and support.

Would it be worth continuing with this degree and spending that amount of time and money on it? Would it be useful for you in the future, even if you don't see yourself using it in the way you thought? Could the labs improve, and could you end up liking the course? These are all things to consider.

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-Year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending