The Student Room Group

to late to take up further maths isnt it?

call me stupid but i never realised the shear importance of further maths in a levels. im going into year 13 and ive tried to ask last year but i wasnt allowed. in my school, you had to get a 9 to do further maths which i think is unfair. but ultimately its my fault for not thinking ahead.
would it be wise to take a gap year and sit it externally or something? or would getting like 3 A* make up for lack of fm?
im looking to do computer science at uni.
sorry if this post sounded abit dumb or naive i just feel confused
Reply 1
Never give up - Maintain what you do and get the best grades you can - but can you self teach fm from online resources? I can't think of a better personal statement to show determination if you gave it a go?

Ask the year tutors for past exam papers and see if you self teach they would enter you in the exam if you can get your knowledge levels good enough?
Reply 2
I really dont think doing further maths in one year is a good idea. There is a lot of content to do in one year.
Reply 3
Original post by TooUnlimit
call me stupid but i never realised the shear importance of further maths in a levels. im going into year 13 and ive tried to ask last year but i wasnt allowed. in my school, you had to get a 9 to do further maths which i think is unfair. but ultimately its my fault for not thinking ahead.
would it be wise to take a gap year and sit it externally or something? or would getting like 3 A* make up for lack of fm?
im looking to do computer science at uni.
sorry if this post sounded abit dumb or naive i just feel confused

There are plenty of good unis where FMaths isn't needed -- look for a course with a year in industry.
Reply 4
Original post by BigJ123
I really dont think doing further maths in one year is a good idea. There is a lot of content to do in one year.

Lots of people do fm in one year.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000

Yeah after they've done all of maths a level. Its not really the same when you're doing it alongside 3 other a levels.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000

No they don't .. only people who sat A level Maths in Year 12!

Quick Reply

Latest