The Student Room Group

medicine and mental health

I'm starting uni this September to study medicine. It's been my dream since I was a kid but now I've got undiagnosed issues (my parents don't really believe in it) and I'm worried that I will really suffer in uni with the pressure, change in environment and isolation. I suffer with day to day tasks let alone doing something highly stressful like medicine. Any advice?
Reply 1
Many congratulations on being accepted to study medicine. You are clearly very academically able to complete the course, otherwise you would not have been accepted. Any change of environment can be unsettling, and many people take time to settle in to the new university environment. The key thing is to establish a routine (once the course starts after freshers) and hopefully you will find that easier. Medicine is unlike many other courses, and the study time required is far greater. Plan your week around your lectures, and make sure that you have some time set aside for yourself too, whether that be clubs, hobbies or nights out with friends. You will find that most people will be anxious about starting university, so you won't be alone. Have a great time, and best of luck with your studies.
Reply 2
If you are struggling at uni, you can always seek help when you are there and away from your parents.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
If you are struggling at uni, you can always seek help when you are there and away from your parents.

from councillors at uni? how does it work in the uk in terms of therapists etc. im not so sure
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
from councillors at uni? how does it work in the uk in terms of therapists etc. im not so sure

Uni or GP. If you are in England, you can also self-refer for talking therapies without needing to see your GP first - https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-an-nhs-talking-therapies-service

Quick Reply

Latest