The Student Room Group

BHASVIC support and help?

i've recently been accepted into bhasvic and i'm taking french and spanish a-level but i'm not sure whether its the best option? i'm not sure how much support and how much feedback i would get in order to improve? i was just wondering if someone could give me an honest answer ahahah
Original post by student190804
i've recently been accepted into bhasvic and i'm taking french and spanish a-level but i'm not sure whether its the best option? i'm not sure how much support and how much feedback i would get in order to improve? i was just wondering if someone could give me an honest answer ahahah

Do you know anyone who has gone there before? Maybe you could ask them.
Also, did you go to the school before (I know you can't go anymore) - did you see any of the classes, did it seem like they were being well supported/ was there a lot/good teacher-student engagement.

I know that BHASVIC is a very good sixthform.... it gets some of the best results for state schools, so I'd presume they do give some pretty good advice.
I know that wasn't much help but @Apad121 knows much more about it than me.
Reply 2
Original post by student190804

As @_Mia101 was saying, BHASVIC achieves some of the very top A level results for any state school in the country.

They are strongly promoting the idea of "Flipped learning", this means that the lessons themselves are largely just going over questions from homework or preparatory tasks set.

There seems to be a fairly large amount of homework for a state school and the teachers there are all A level only teachers. This allows them to give you a fair bit of valuable information and advice to your homework tasks.

This of course varies from teacher to teacher. You only have one teacher per subject at BHASVIC unlike some schools splitting the courses into two teachers. This means that the quality of advice you get STRONGLY depends on the teacher that teaches your class. You may be lucky or unlucky to be honest.

A problem of having such a large school is that if you're struggling with your subject, you won't be able to easily go and find the head of the department for help because they likely won't have heard of you. Your predicted grades REALLY REALLY do depend on how well you get on with that particular teacher. Based on the people I've spoken to there, your quality of education is definitely a fair bit of a gamble. Don't let this scare you off though, no matter what it won't be terrible! If it was you can always request to change classes anyway!

If you ever fall behind they have their "infamous support plan" which involves additional sessions to get more contact time and even more advice to you. Saying this though, in practice I've heard students dread this and find it more time consuming that it's worth.

Hope this helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _Mia101
Do you know anyone who has gone there before? Maybe you could ask them.
Also, did you go to the school before (I know you can't go anymore) - did you see any of the classes, did it seem like they were being well supported/ was there a lot/good teacher-student engagement.

I know that BHASVIC is a very good sixthform.... it gets some of the best results for state schools, so I'd presume they do give some pretty good advice.
I know that wasn't much help but @Apad121 knows much more about it than me.

ahhhh thank you :smile:
Original post by Apad121
As @_Mia101 was saying, BHASVIC achieves some of the very top A level results for any state school in the country.

They are strongly promoting the idea of "Flipped learning", this means that the lessons themselves are largely just going over questions from homework or preparatory tasks set.

There seems to be a fairly large amount of homework for a state school and the teachers there are all A level only teachers. This allows them to give you a fair bit of valuable information and advice to your homework tasks.

This of course varies from teacher to teacher. You only have one teacher per subject at BHASVIC unlike some schools splitting the courses into two teachers. This means that the quality of advice you get STRONGLY depends on the teacher that teaches your class. You may be lucky or unlucky to be honest.

A problem of having such a large school is that if you're struggling with your subject, you won't be able to easily go and find the head of the department for help because they likely won't have heard of you. Your predicted grades REALLY REALLY do depend on how well you get on with that particular teacher. Based on the people I've spoken to there, your quality of education is definitely a fair bit of a gamble. Don't let this scare you off though, no matter what it won't be terrible! If it was you can always request to change classes anyway!

If you ever fall behind they have their "infamous support plan" which involves additional sessions to get more contact time and even more advice to you. Saying this though, in practice I've heard students dread this and find it more time consuming that it's worth.

Hope this helps!

ahh thank you so so much :smile:
bhasvic student here- I don't do a language myself but I know people who do and be prepared for a lot of work, languages are probably the hardest A-Levels to do. I know you get extra speaking practice lessons, and most subjects have some form of help as well as the support plan if you're struggling.

its definitely a gamble for teachers, but its rare to get a truly horrific one and most them range from really good to ok.

there is definitely a lot of homework- the subject standard is 4.5 hours lesson time 4.5 hours homework per week but you'll have a bit more lesson time as you're doing French and Spanish

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest