The Student Room Group

A level subjects help for med/dent

Hiiiii!!
I've just received my GCSE results and I am interested in studying dentistry or med in the future, so I'm picking bio and chem for a levels but the prob is, I can't do math as the 3rd subject bc it was my lowest grade (6=B) ): I can't do physics/psychology either bc the school docent offer it due to low staff no.

Therefore, what 3rd subject can I do other than maths/physics/psychology?? what'd be the next best thing, and won't put my application at a disadvantage?? I.e I've been thinking os religious studies or sociology but which subject is not considered 'weak' but dental/ed school admissions?

Please help I'm so stressed ):

Thanks!!

Jo xx
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by jojo8877
Hiiiii!!
I've just received my GCSE results and I am interested in studying dentistry or med in the future, so I'm picking bio and chem for a levels but the prob is, I can't do math as the 3rd subject bc it was my lowest grade (6=B) ): I can't do physics/psychology either bc the school docent offer it due to low staff no.

Therefore, what 3rd subject can I do other than maths/physics/psychology?? what'd be the next best thing, and won't put my application at a disadvantage?? I.e I've been thinking os religious studies or sociology but which subject is not considered 'weak' but dental/ed school admissions?

Thanks!!

Jo xx

You have the 2 sciences, biology and chemistry, which medicine requires. Note that some universities prefer a third science
Hiiiii!!

Thanks!!

Jo xx

You will be able to apply to the majority of med schools with biology and/or chemistry (see link below). Your third can be in any subject so pick something you enjoy and will get a high grade in.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422&p=90924126&page=108#post90924126
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
You have the 2 sciences, biology and chemistry, which medicine requires. Note that some universities prefer a third science

Not all require both bio and chem, and only Cambridge requires a third science.
Reply 4
Hiiiii!!

Thanks!!

Jo xx

The best 3rd A level for medicine is the one you are most likely to get an A or A* in. The subject really does not matter. Picking an essay based subject could also be seen as a bonus and proves you can write/communicate well. RE might be good, as it has a large ethics component, which is very relevant for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest