The Student Room Group

University friends

I wanted to have people's opinions on a dilemma I am having.
At the moment I do a very interactive and intense course , which requires me to go into uni every day and attend lectures for around 4-6 hours (which is crazy compared to a lot of other courses that only have students go in 2-3 times a week). I have a good set of friends in this course that I enjoy spending time and tackling tough coursework questions with. My issue is that for the next academic year, i desperately want to branch out and find new friends that have nothing to do with my course/friends in the course.

This is because as well as the 4-6hrs every day, I usually am at the library with the same friends until late because of the courseworks. This means I am constantly surrounded by the same people and honestly its led me to feel a little suffocated (although i love them).

I really want to go to societies on my own and meet people there but I feel sort of guilty for some reason, as if I am gatekeeping certain friends from my coursemates or whatever. Theres already someone in my course who introduced some of my friends to her external friendship and drama has already started between them all and that put me off from mixing course friends with others.

Is it a bad thing to want another group of friends outside of my course and not hang out with these course friends in my leisure time as much? How would you deal with this situation???
Original post by Anonymous
At the moment I do a very interactive and intense course , which requires me to go into uni every day and attend lectures for around 4-6 hours (which is crazy compared to a lot of other courses that only have students go in 2-3 times a week). I have a good set of friends in this course that I enjoy spending time and tackling tough coursework questions with. My issue is that for the next academic year, i desperately want to branch out and find new friends that have nothing to do with my course/friends in the course.

This is because as well as the 4-6hrs every day, I usually am at the library with the same friends until late because of the courseworks. This means I am constantly surrounded by the same people and honestly its led me to feel a little suffocated (although i love them).

I really want to go to societies on my own and meet people there but I feel sort of guilty for some reason, as if I am gatekeeping certain friends from my coursemates or whatever. Theres already someone in my course who introduced some of my friends to her external friendship and drama has already started between them all and that put me off from mixing course friends with others.

Is it a bad thing to want another group of friends outside of my course and not hang out with these course friends in my leisure time as much? How would you deal with this situation???

Hey,
Glad to hear that you have made friends on your course and have a good group for studying and course related.
In terms of meeting other people outside of your course, societies and clubs can definitely be a good place to start. It sounds like uni is quite intense for you and so finding the time may be tricky but being involved may be a rewarding distraction/activity that benefits your studies by allowing you time to relax and refresh. Now at the start of a semester is a great time to see what opportunities/clubs there are with fresher events etc but you can also get involved in most clubs throughout the semester and indeed at any point in your degree.
Personally, I like having some friends that aren't on my course because it allows for some conversations to be less uni focussed and allows an escape from specific uni stress. Also I like being outdoors and active so having a group of likeminded people to do activities with is great especially when many of my course mates prefer to be indoors.
You should not feel bad or made to feel bad about wanting to branch out your social circle and meet new people. Having separate groups can be good but it is okay if they mix. It is important to be able to be yourself with all your friends and not feel like your having to split your personality so finding people that support you and you want to spend time with is key.
Hope that helps
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous

Hello there

I entirely get where you're coming from, and it's quite reasonable to desire to make new friends outside of your coursemates. In university, you can grow personally, explore new things, and create a wide variety of friends and acquaintances. Your desires to meet new people and explore new opportunities are legitimate and healthy feelings.

First of all, it's crucial to keep in mind that having friends from various social circles is acceptable. Everyone has individual interests, so it makes sense that you would want to pursue them outside of the classroom. Most likely, your current friends will also comprehend that.

You should definitely go for it when it comes to joining societies and making new acquaintances! Finding people who share your interests and hobbies can be done quite well by joining university societies. It's an opportunity for personal growth and a chance to explore new hobbies or abilities outside of your course work.

It's crucial to be honest and transparent with your present pals about any guilt you may be experiencing. As much as you enjoy your friendship with them, let them know that you also want to take advantage of other social possibilities. They'll probably understand, and they might even nudge you in that direction. Keep in mind that friendships ought to be empowering rather than limiting.

It's important to keep in mind that every case is different while thinking about the conflict you mentioned between your course mates and someone else's external friendship. Conflicts may arise, but they shouldn't stop you from making new friends. Be careful to uphold boundaries and settle disputes as they occur, but don't allow this deter you from seeking out new experiences.

In summary, having a second group of friends outside of your course is totally acceptable and is a good approach to balance your social life. Follow your passions, get involved in society, make new friends, and love the ones you already have. It's all a part of college life, and you'll probably discover that your classmates will encourage your personal development and pleasure.

Good luck in your quest to meet new people and build a diverse social life in the upcoming academic year!

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending