The Student Room Group

Loosing friends

Hey, I’m moving away to uni in September and I’m worried I’m going to loose lots of close friendships I have.
I’m part of a Jujtsu club which are genuinely like a family. I see them twice a week and have some younger friends in it who I love.
I’m not sure how to keep in contact without loosing the connection. Especially when the younger ones are going to do most of their growing up when I’m away. Will I even know who they are. They’re really bad at replying so I worry I’m going to loose them.
In uni you ll make new friends and you ll forget about them....it's easy
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Good friends can last the test of time. You only have to catch up infrequently, when you’re back or even virtually
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, I’m moving away to uni in September and I’m worried I’m going to loose lots of close friendships I have.
I’m part of a Jujtsu club which are genuinely like a family. I see them twice a week and have some younger friends in it who I love.
I’m not sure how to keep in contact without loosing the connection. Especially when the younger ones are going to do most of their growing up when I’m away. Will I even know who they are. They’re really bad at replying so I worry I’m going to loose them.

Hi there!

I completely understand the worry of maintaining friendships while at university. I agree that if your friendships are good enough then each person will make the effort to stay friends. Obviously you might not be as close with people because you are both in new phases of your life, and you aren't able to give as much time to them because you are doing other things and sharing your time with other people. I'm in a similar situation as I've been a member of dance groups for a long time, but because of uni, I had to leave. However, I always make sure that when I'm back at home, I support at shows, turn up to classes and say hi to everyone when I can. You could also schedule time to call your friends so you can have a proper conversation, and make the effort to visit them whenever possible to keep in touch with them.

Good friends will understand that you are not able to give them as much time as they had with you originally due to meeting new people and having a new life to adjust to, so the true friendships will be revealed when you go.

I wish you the best of luck in September! Make the most of the time you spend with your friends too but also look forward to the new friendships that await!🙂

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending