The Student Room Group

What should I do?

In 2022 I completed my A-Levels with an A* in History and Psychology and a B in French my poorest subject. I took a gap year and haven’t applied to any universities as of now or while in college as I was dealing with personal issues and was ill with my only focus being completing and getting through my A-Levels as I was almost pulled out of doing so. I would like to study psychology (and neuroscience maybe) and a lot of the universities I have looked up want AAA or A*AA and want an A-Level in Biology. I am so disappointed at myself for not prioritising improving my French or choosing biology instead and I don’t know whether to get in contact with the universities to see If there is any chance I could be accepted or to try and do biology A-Level from home. I just feel a bit stuck and am also embarrassed about going to university this late in my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I understand Biology is a really difficult subject but a lot of people have said it is memorisation which I’m not that bad at, the only worrying thing would be the practical for me.
Original post by Yaz05
In 2022 I completed my A-Levels with an A* in History and Psychology and a B in French my poorest subject. I took a gap year and haven’t applied to any universities as of now or while in college as I was dealing with personal issues and was ill with my only focus being completing and getting through my A-Levels as I was almost pulled out of doing so. I would like to study psychology (and neuroscience maybe) and a lot of the universities I have looked up want AAA or A*AA and want an A-Level in Biology. I am so disappointed at myself for not prioritising improving my French or choosing biology instead and I don’t know whether to get in contact with the universities to see If there is any chance I could be accepted or to try and do biology A-Level from home. I just feel a bit stuck and am also embarrassed about going to university this late in my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I understand Biology is a really difficult subject but a lot of people have said it is memorisation which I’m not that bad at, the only worrying thing would be the practical for me.

Which unis are you seeing that "want an A-Level in Biology" to study Psychology? Cambridge don't (although some specific colleges do), Oxford don't, Bath don't, St. Andrew's don't, LSE don't, and UCL don't.

Your comment regarding "personal issues and was ill" sounds like solid extenuating circumstances to me, and A*A*B is a strong grade profile. Applying to a couple of A*AA or AAA choices would certainly be worth doing (alongside others which want AAB or below).
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying and giving me a bit more hope so I can stop beating myself up over my grades. The courses I were looking at were neuroscience and psychology or psychology BSC at Kings College London or Edinburgh university.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Yaz05
Thank you so much for replying and giving me a bit more hope so I can stop beating myself up over my grades. The courses I were looking at were neuroscience and psychology or psychology BSC at Kings College London or Edinburgh university.

KCL don't require Biology for Psychology. They say "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." (source) They do, however, say "Preferred subjects: Biology and Mathematics".

However, for Neuroscience and Psychology they say "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in at least two of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." (source) So that would be out.

Edinburgh say that for Psychology they want "A Levels: one from Biology or Human Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science or equivalent, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, or Psychology at B" (source)

So the only one of these that requires Biology A lev is Neuroscience and Psychology at KCL.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
KCL don't require Biology for Psychology. They say "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." (source) They do, however, say "Preferred subjects: Biology and Mathematics".

However, for Neuroscience and Psychology they say "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in at least two of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." (source) So that would be out.

Edinburgh say that for Psychology they want "A Levels: one from Biology or Human Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science or equivalent, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, or Psychology at B" (source)

So the only one of these that requires Biology A lev is Neuroscience and Psychology at KCL.

THANK YOU so much for going out of your way to check that. I have no idea what I was reading then, possibly I just got confused or something or just wasn’t reading it properly. Hope u have the best day, week, year because you’ve definitely made mine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Yaz05

Just to put this into perspective a little, I didn't start uni until I was 25 and did so with zero A Levels - I got CCD at AS Level and then dropped out! I did my degree with the Open University and came out with a First. I've since trained as a counsellor, got a postgraduate certificate in psychological therapies, and just qualified as a high intensity CBT therapist. I absolutely love my job now.

My point is: YOU CAN DO IT.
Original post by Yaz05

Hi @Yaz05,

Hope you're well. First of all, don't feel disheartened about starting university so late, everybody progresses at a different pace and you shouldn't let that hold you back from achieving what you want.

Secondly, it may be worth speaking to the addmissions team at the universities you are considering applying to as they may be willing to take you personal circumstances into consideration. For example, at Lancaster University, we offer a contextual offer scheme where students can be given a lower offer based off any difficulties they may have experienced during their education. Lancaster University also offers Psychology and Biology with Psychology degree.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

Faheema (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest