The Student Room Group

A-Levels in 8 months

Hi, I'm looking into being homeschooled for year 12 and was wondering how hard it is to do a-levels in 8 months. I was thinking of doing two in year 12 and another a-level in year 13, plus maybe the EPQ. Is this a good idea or should I just do all three a-levels at the same time?
Original post by izzrh
Hi, I'm looking into being homeschooled for year 12 and was wondering how hard it is to do a-levels in 8 months. I was thinking of doing two in year 12 and another a-level in year 13, plus maybe the EPQ. Is this a good idea or should I just do all three a-levels at the same time?

I have tried doing A-levels in 5-6 months, although with substantial prior knowledge, and in COVID boundaries. I got BBC in Y11 at 15 along with my GCSEs. And it was rather intense even with spending nearly all the time (although I did procrastinate quite a lot a few times so i didn't use the time that efficiently).

Which subjects? It's gonna be quite difficult to finish A-levels in 8 months, although I won't stop you and you can try to. I must warn you it'll be a very intense schedule.

Some unis want 3 a levels taken at the same time so if you want to apply to those unis do a levels at the same time.
Original post by justlearning1469
I have tried doing A-levels in 5-6 months, although with substantial prior knowledge, and in COVID boundaries. I got BBC in Y11 at 15 along with my GCSEs. And it was rather intense even with spending nearly all the time (although I did procrastinate quite a lot a few times so i didn't use the time that efficiently).

Which subjects? It's gonna be quite difficult to finish A-levels in 8 months, although I won't stop you and you can try to. I must warn you it'll be a very intense schedule.

Some unis want 3 a levels taken at the same time so if you want to apply to those unis do a levels at the same time.

I was thinking of doing Economics and English Language this year, then Philosophy next year. Thanks for letting me know about the unis.
Original post by izzrh
I was thinking of doing Economics and English Language this year, then Philosophy next year. Thanks for letting me know about the unis.

Which unis do you plan on applying? Which subjects? If you spread it over 2 years you won't be able to skip a year. If you homeschool you might as well get something out of it, like being a year ahead. I have no experience with your subjects other than econ at gcse and a bit of eng lang.

Which exam board? Cambridge IAL can be done in UK and has a modular system so you can spread your exams out, making it easier. You could try it if you wanat to spread things out while also doing 3 a levels at same time.
Original post by justlearning1469
Which unis do you plan on applying? Which subjects? If you spread it over 2 years you won't be able to skip a year. If you homeschool you might as well get something out of it, like being a year ahead. I have no experience with your subjects other than econ at gcse and a bit of eng lang.

Which exam board? Cambridge IAL can be done in UK and has a modular system so you can spread your exams out, making it easier. You could try it if you wanat to spread things out while also doing 3 a levels at same time.

I'm not 100% sure which exam board I will do but the online course that seems the most promising is Oxbridge home learning and the exam boards are AQA and Edexcel. I would prefer to do an apprenticeship instead of going to uni, and I've been looking at finance or business ones, I will apply to some unis but probably for law or philosophy, I don't have any specific unis in mind to be honest.
Original post by izzrh
I'm not 100% sure which exam board I will do but the online course that seems the most promising is Oxbridge home learning and the exam boards are AQA and Edexcel. I would prefer to do an apprenticeship instead of going to uni, and I've been looking at finance or business ones, I will apply to some unis but probably for law or philosophy, I don't have any specific unis in mind to be honest.

In that case use oxbridge home learning. i've done IAL edexcel however that's not available in uk. edexcel is most common. although for a level it is linear.

I suppose look at qs 2024 ranking and qs 2023 ranking for law/philosophy for unis. I suppose if you want to get to work early I guess do your A-levels in the 8 months?

I don't have much experience with apprenticeships at all. Nor much knowledge. For law bristol is a good uni, leeds is a good uni, which part of law do you want to get into? Scottish or English? I think you should work on your a levels and try get the highest predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest