The Student Room Group

University Discrepancies & OIA Review Process

Hello everyone, I'm facing a concerning situation with my university. I was unable to secure a resit opportunity after failing to meet the required credit threshold, and this is despite two appeals. My efforts to challenge this were grounded in a 'sit to fit' policy, even when I presented medical documentation indicating that I was grappling with significant health challenges during that period(disability). Out of sheer necessity, I approached the OIA. Upon examining the university's documentation, it became evident that there were numerous discrepancies. The data they chose seemed selective and dated, not to mention the unmistakable biases and glaring inaccuracies. I have meticulously compiled a 15-page response, addressing and correcting each of their claims, substantiated with clear evidence. Given this, do you believe the OIA might review the case with a more discerning eye, considering these evident 'oversights' from the university's end?
Reply 1
Original post by Abodii
Hello everyone, I'm facing a concerning situation with my university. I was unable to secure a resit opportunity after failing to meet the required credit threshold, and this is despite two appeals. My efforts to challenge this were grounded in a 'sit to fit' policy, even when I presented medical documentation indicating that I was grappling with significant health challenges during that period(disability). Out of sheer necessity, I approached the OIA. Upon examining the university's documentation, it became evident that there were numerous discrepancies. The data they chose seemed selective and dated, not to mention the unmistakable biases and glaring inaccuracies. I have meticulously compiled a 15-page response, addressing and correcting each of their claims, substantiated with clear evidence. Given this, do you believe the OIA might review the case with a more discerning eye, considering these evident 'oversights' from the university's end?

Hi Abodii,

I believe the OIA will review your case with a more
Reply 2
Original post by IamDee Dee
Hi Abodii,

I believe the OIA will review your case with a more

I find it both perplexing and concerning that the university's response has presented biased evidence, which I have effectively refuted with credible and verifiable information. Additionally, they have made claims without providing any supporting evidence, effectively shifting the burden of proof onto me to demonstrate my innocence. What's particularly baffling is that while they briefly discussed the main issue at hand, it seemed to account for only about 10-20% of their communication. The majority of their communication contained either irrelevant information or outright wrong.
It's challenging to understand the reasoning behind this approach. Surely, they are aware that I can substantiate my position with evidence. I consulted with the student union, and they suggested that this might be an attempt to divert attention from the primary issue. However, it's hard to believe that they assume both the OIA and I wouldn't notice this tactic. I wonder, would the OIA truly take this matter seriously?
My concerns stem from the fact that I haven't come across any explicit guidelines on their website that clearly mandate educational providers to present accurate and unbiased data about the students involved in disputes. While I did reach out to the OIA, they simply advised me to document my concerns in writing and submit them. It's bothering me because it seems like this system could be easily abused. I could make claims that they can't disprove or twist their information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending