The Student Room Group

English language alevel coursework original writing commentary

Hi, this maybe a stupid thing to ask but my teachers aren't being very helpful, I have just finished my original writing course work and I'm not sure how to do the commentary part for the short story I have down, I do aqa as the exam board.
Reply 1
Original post by Xxharrisonlough
Hi, this maybe a stupid thing to ask but my teachers aren't being very helpful, I have just finished my original writing course work and I'm not sure how to do the commentary part for the short story I have down, I do aqa as the exam board.

hi,
your commentary is working through what you did and why, based on your style model. to plan mine (which was a magazine article) i annnotated based on each language framework (lexis, grammar, graphology etc) and made notes on which aspects i wanted to point out. for this to work it’s important you know your purpose and audience, as this will guide your decisions. then it’s just an essay like any other (think section A of the exams), where you write what you did, why you did it and the impact on the reader. if there are any parts of your writing which are different to the style model mention that too, as it shows you can be critical of it. think of the essay as explaining what you did and why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending