The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

University of Salford/counselling

Hello everybody, I have an interview for the University of Salford's counselling and psychotherapy course. Do you have any tips for me? What kind of questions can they ask? Is there anything that can help me prepare?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello everybody, I have an interview for the University of Salford's counselling and psychotherapy course. Do you have any tips for me? What kind of questions can they ask? Is there anything that can help me prepare?

Hello,

Firstly I want to say congratulations on getting an interview for the counselling and psychotherapy course at Salford University. I do want to say, I probably won't be able to inform you on what type of questions they ask, however I have done many interviews before, including an interview for my course when I was apply for Salford University so I thought I could give you a few tips.

I'd say the biggest thing is to be yourself, I know this may seem like the most obvious tip, but I think it can catch people out. One of the big reasons institutions like to interview is so that they can meet candidates in person and put a face to an application. So I would say it is important to be your honest self as I think that is what comes across best when interviewing.

This next tip I don't always like saying as I myself am someone who does get nervous, but do try and relax in the environment of an interview. Again this is way easier said then done I do appreciate that but I will elaborate. The interview is your time to talk about yourself so do allow yourself to take time with your answers. Take deep breaths if needed and focus so that your answers come across clearly and you speak about everything you want to during the interview.

From a more technical side of things, I would say with each answer you give try and use the STAR method, I will try and explain it as best as I can here but if I do not make sense just give it a quick google and a better explanation will probably come up. The STAR method stands for Situation, Task, Action and Result and this is a good way to structure your answers for each question you may be asked. What was the situation you were in? What tasks did you have to face? What actions did you then take to tackle the task? What was your Results (with a bonus sentence of personal reflection and how you felt you grew/ developed because of this situation).

I would say they are my 3 biggest tips so I hope that does help and best of luck with your interview.

Matt ~ University of Salford Rep
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending