The Student Room Group

Exeter uni vs Sussex uni?

I have an offer for International Relations at Exeter uni but an offer for Law w International Relations at Sussex. I’d be happy doing both courses. But in terms of graduate prospects would it be better going to Exeter, a russel group, or Sussex and do law?
Hi dhuvas, well done on obtaining your offers for both universities!

As a current student at Exeter, I cannot compare the experience with Sussex as I haven't experienced it myself. Nor am I a graduate, but I can let you know about the opportunities Exeter provides to help with your career and graduate prospects :smile:

As well as placing in the top 15 UK universities in major UK league tables, and therefore providing you with a degree that is well-regarded across the UK, Exeter also offers a lot of additional careers support and opportunities that I've found has really helped to build my CV. The uni Careers Service is free to all students and offers workshops, programmes, internships and one-on-one appointments to help you with whatever stage you're at, whether you've got no clue what career you'd like or you want help applying to a specific role. Personally, through the Career Zone, I've gone along to webinars specific to careers that I'm interested in, I've participated in voluntary programmes that I can now put on my CV, and I also took part in the Access to Internships scheme which allowed me to create my own internship that the University then funded. There have honestly been so many experiences and opportunities available to me - more than I would have imagined, so I feel spoilt for choice!

A lot of degrees at Exeter also offer the option to complete a year in industry or a year abroad which really enhances your employability too. You can apply to include this in your degree even once you've start at uni, so don't worry if you hadn't initially applied for it - alternatively, if you don't want to take a whole year out, there are also optional modules specific to careers that can help boost your graduate prospects.

Whichever university you choose, my advice would be to look out for all these opportunities to have some real-world experience, because alongside a degree, employeers really look out for evidence that you can apply your degree to relevant fields.

Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any more questions!

Nina
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending