The Student Room Group

joint honours in english lit?

hi guys. so i know this website is a pretty hardcore STEM advocate, but id like some unbiased opinions here.

i’ve always loved english, writing, etc, but i know the career prospects are pretty limited. so i’ve been considering a double honours degree in english lit with another subject to maybe make myself more marketable/employable, but almost everywhere is saying it’s a bad idea, that i’ll be under average wage, i should just keep it as a hobby and pursue computer science or engineering, etc.

but i’m asking if you guys think there’s any subjects that’d go well with an english degree to maybe help myself out. i’m pretty interested in marketing but with everything being so tech-driven, i don’t know if i’m just wasting my time.

thanks
(edited 11 months ago)
English lit is a degree in literary analysis. It's not a degree in creative writing.

Also you don't need to do an English lit degree in order to pursue any career except to become an academic in the field of literary analysis and criticism.

I'd point out also that minimum wage is called that for a reason - there is no such thing as being "under minimum wage" unless you are being illegally underpaid.

Finally, most graduate schemes don't care whatsoever what you studied at degree level and the degree itself is just a tickbox.

So do whatever degree is of intellectual interest for you unto itself, and do what every other grad does and figure out what to do with your life that isn't related to your degree thereafter (or go into academia if you do resolutely want to do something related to the degree).
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
English lit is a degree in literary analysis. It's not a degree in creative writing.

Also you don't need to do an English lit degree in order to pursue any career except to become an academic in the field of literary analysis and criticism.

I'd point out also that minimum wage is called that for a reason - there is no such thing as being "under minimum wage" unless you are being illegally underpaid.

Finally, most graduate schemes don't care whatsoever what you studied at degree level and the degree itself is just a tickbox.

So do whatever degree is of intellectual interest for you unto itself, and do what every other grad does and figure out what to do with your life that isn't related to your degree thereafter (or go into academia if you do resolutely want to do something related to the degree).

whoops, i meant to say average, not minimum. thanks for correcting me.

i’ll take all this on board, thank you.
Original post by m0on4ge_d4ydreAm
hi guys. so i know this website is a pretty hardcore STEM advocate, but id like some unbiased opinions here.

i’ve always loved english, writing, etc, but i know the career prospects are pretty limited. so i’ve been considering a double honours degree in english lit with another subject to maybe make myself more marketable/employable, but almost everywhere is saying it’s a bad idea, that i’ll be under average wage, i should just keep it as a hobby and pursue computer science or engineering, etc.

but i’m asking if you guys think there’s any subjects that’d go well with an english degree to maybe help myself out. i’m pretty interested in marketing but with everything being so tech-driven, i don’t know if i’m just wasting my time.

thanks

Hi,

I'm a third year English student here at Southampton. When working at university open days I often get questions surrounding employability and job opportunities, with people often thinking that English graduates are limited in what they can do. However, I would argue that an English degree opens up lots of career opportunities in a range of careers. I will post a link to the Southampton page that discusses career prospects, but can outline what it says in a nutshell.

An English degree will help you gain skills in researching, critical thinking, presenting, project managing and writing, all of which are incredibly useful and transferable skills to have when entering the workplace. In terms of careers, the site notes that graduates have gone on to work in: adminsitration, advertising, civil service, media, publishing, teaching, translation etc.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/english-degree-ba#careers

I would recommend having a look at different university sites to see the range of careers open to English graduates, as you will be nicely surprised!

If you have any other questions about studying English, I would be happy to help!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending