The Student Room Group

are the cpg books enough to get all 9s at gcse?

i was wondering if the cpg books are enough to get me all 9s at gcse and just how good are they?
thank you
I have not used them for a while. However, when I did use them, they were great! It honestly depends on how you utilise them and how your general essay layout is for heavy writing subjects. They are certified by exam boards, thus cover all topics. Plus teachers generally endorse them.
Original post by euphoria..45
i was wondering if the cpg books are enough to get me all 9s at gcse and just how good are they?
thank you

I think the cgp books are a good starting point but you should probably make sure your using resources from other places too. if you go onto ur exam board website you can always find past papers and practice questions which are essential for exam prep :smile:
Reply 3
thank you

CGP books can be used as a stand alone resource for subjects like science, maths, etc. They were all I used for those types of subjects and it worked well. Though for subjects like English Literature and Language, History, etc, I would refrain from using them at all - please save your money.

Those latter subjects require a skill for writing, digesting information, and constructing a careful answer. In all honesty, I don’t think CGP books can give you that guidance to reach grade 9s in essay-based subjects.
thank you

I'd say any resource is enough to get you a grade 9 (so long as they're fairly popular and have previous reviews) but perhaps use multiple resources to ensure you're getting everything. The spec is useful as a checklist to ensure this.
thank you

I’d be inclined to say no if they are literally the only resource you use.

The best way to ensure you get all 9’s is to master your exam technique in all your subjects - something that can only be done using exam questions. However, to cover the content, the CGP guides may be useful. I would still try finding free online resources for your subjects first before jumping to buying revision guides.
(edited 7 months ago)
thank you

Subject dependent have you considered previous years past papers it gives you the exam knowledge and experience the know how to how the questions will be the type you’ll face and it’s of good practice some CGP books make up the curriculum content in regards to sample workbooks which have to be purchased separately as well as software based applications for other subjects that are deemed better.

Quick Reply

Latest