The Student Room Group

british citizenship application

hello! im in the process of applying for british citizenship online and i had a few questions about it if anyone would be able to answer them? (i did call up the home office but they directed me back to the gov.uk website and i haven't been able to find every answer yet)

so when it asks for proof of living in the uk for the past 5 years, what sort of documents are valid for this? furthermore on the application it says i will not need to send in my passport unless they require it, in which scenario might my passport be required? sorry thisone may sound like a stupid question but it also says any forms of id (like passports) should be an original and not copies, does this basically mean scanning in my original passport or is it reffering to something else? final question, for my referees i printed out a letter for them to sign, is this also supposed to be scanned in or posted to the home office? (i forgot what the section said and i can't find it anymore sorry)

i haven't got to the further actions section of the application yet since im still on the payment, so im not sure what part involves, is it just about any documentation i need to include / scanning them in or about my next steps etc? i would greatly appreciate any sort of help, thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by astrostial
hello! im in the process of applying for british citizenship online and i had a few questions about it if anyone would be able to answer them? (i did call up the home office but they directed me back to the gov.uk website and i haven't been able to find every answer yet)

so when it asks for proof of living in the uk for the past 5 years, what sort of documents are valid for this? furthermore on the application it says i will not need to send in my passport unless they require it, in which scenario might my passport be required? sorry thisone may sound like a stupid question but it also says any forms of id (like passports) should be an original and not copies, does this basically mean scanning in my original passport or is it reffering to something else? final question, for my referees i printed out a letter for them to sign, is this also supposed to be scanned in or posted to the home office? (i forgot what the section said and i can't find it anymore sorry)

i haven't got to the further actions section of the application yet since im still on the payment, so im not sure what part involves, is it just about any documentation i need to include / scanning them in or about my next steps etc? i would greatly appreciate any sort of help, thank you! :smile:

it means you scan your passport and upload it
You can have rental agreements, bank statements, etc.

Your passport will not necessarily be accepted as you could have multiple passports.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatOldGuy
You can have rental agreements, bank statements, etc.

Your passport will not necessarily be accepted as you could have multiple passports.

hi, i don’t anything like that as proof for the past 5 years as i’m only 18
Original post by astrostial
hi, i don’t anything like that as proof for the past 5 years as i’m only 18

school enrolment records? x best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest