The Student Room Group

Questions about getting in to Cambridge to do masters in computer science

I am currently in my first year at university studying computer science and my (probably unrealistic) aim is to do my masters at Cambridge and I have a few questions about this:

1. I have poor A-levels (BBB in subjects not relevant to computer science) will this mean that no matter my Uni Grade I would not get in?

2. The entry requirements say you need A-level Maths or equivalent which I do not have, is there something "equivalent" that i can do now that would make this not a problem?

3. If it is still possible after the first two questions, what are things i can do over the next few years to give me a chance to have a successful application?

Answers to any of these questions or any other general advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am currently in my first year at university studying computer science and my (probably unrealistic) aim is to do my masters at Cambridge and I have a few questions about this:

1. I have poor A-levels (BBB in subjects not relevant to computer science) will this mean that no matter my Uni Grade I would not get in?

2. The entry requirements say you need A-level Maths or equivalent which I do not have, is there something "equivalent" that i can do now that would make this not a problem?

3. If it is still possible after the first two questions, what are things i can do over the next few years to give me a chance to have a successful application?

Answers to any of these questions or any other general advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7421742 scratch games

While Cambridge does consider A-level (or equivalent) results, they also place a significant emphasis on your university performance. If you perform exceptionally well in your computer science degree, it can certainly compensate for lower A-level grades. Focus on excelling in your current program and gaining relevant experience. Stay dedicated to your studies, gain practical experience, and seek guidance from your university's careers service and professors. Good luck with your academic journey!
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks.

In terms of things you can do to give you a good chance, the post above suggesting that a high degree classification is important is good advice.
However, I'm not sure whether the above post is correct about A Levels being considered seriously by Cambridge for PG qualifications, take that with a pinch of salt.

As for point #2 in your post, I would get in touch with the department and ask them for a suggestion as to what they consider an equivalent qualification for maths and go from there: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending