The Student Room Group

cambridge pbs with an a in biology?

Hello,

I am considering my chances of getting into Cambridge for psychology, but I am concerned because the preferred subjects are biology and maths, which are strongly emphasized on the college websites. Although I have a 6 in biology (equivalent to an A), my overall grades add up to A*A*A (including history and psychology) and my predicted grade is a 43. From what I have heard, grades are not the only deciding factor once you meet the minimum requirements and perform well in the interview. However, I struggle with answering questions on the spot, which worries me.

My parents are pressuring me to apply, but I would rather keep an extra space on my UCAS for a safer option if my chances of getting into Oxbridge is slim. Additionally, I am concerned that I may not enjoy the intense academic atmosphere at Cambridge, despite the beautiful campus I saw when I visited.
Reply 1
Original post by all-powerful-pen
Hello,

I am considering my chances of getting into Cambridge for psychology, but I am concerned because the preferred subjects are biology and maths, which are strongly emphasized on the college websites. Although I have a 6 in biology (equivalent to an A), my overall grades add up to A*A*A (including history and psychology) and my predicted grade is a 43. From what I have heard, grades are not the only deciding factor once you meet the minimum requirements and perform well in the interview. However, I struggle with answering questions on the spot, which worries me.

My parents are pressuring me to apply, but I would rather keep an extra space on my UCAS for a safer option if my chances of getting into Oxbridge is slim. Additionally, I am concerned that I may not enjoy the intense academic atmosphere at Cambridge, despite the beautiful campus I saw when I visited.

You meet the requirements, so you have a chance. Whether not Cambridge is right for you and if you will enjoy it or not, is something only you can answer I'm afraid. Grades are only one part of it, as they also look at super curriculars, personal statements, teacher references etc, so if they are all good, you can give it a shot. Using one of your 5 UCAS options on a long shot (it's a long shot for everyone), I don't think is an issue, as long as you have a couple of safe options, which I assume you will have with your brilliant grades.

Regarding college choices, I think you would just need to avoid Churchill as it specifies 7 in Biology or Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending