The Student Room Group

PBS Entry Requirements for Cambridge 2024 Entry

Hi,

I am really keen on applying for PBS at Cambridge for the 2024 entry. I went to the open day today, spoke to the department information stand, and asked about the entry requirements as I am a little bit confused. Some official college websites and pages state that you need an A*AA as your typical offer, but the general Cambridge University website states you need A*A*A. The students who I also spoke to also weren't certain.

Does anyone know any information about this, please? It would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Original post by doorsandwindows
Hi,

I am really keen on applying for PBS at Cambridge for the 2024 entry. I went to the open day today, spoke to the department information stand, and asked about the entry requirements as I am a little bit confused. Some official college websites and pages state that you need an A*AA as your typical offer, but the general Cambridge University website states you need A*A*A. The students who I also spoke to also weren't certain.

Does anyone know any information about this, please? It would be greatly appreciated:smile:

You're absolutely right to be confused. They've made a real mess of communicating this in a timely and consistent way.

Prior to 2024 entry, most colleges required A*AA, with a few requiring A*A*A. Earlier this year they updated the PDF which summarises the per-college requirements. As far as I can tell, all they did is change the "for 2023 entry" to "for 2024 entry" at the top and then slap a "PROVISIONAL" watermark on it.

Then on 4th July, two days before the first open day, they updated it to say that every college now requires A*A*A. (They also removed the watermark.)

However, as you note, some college web sites have yet to be updated and still show A*AA. It's a mess. They should be both ashamed and embarrassed as far as I'm concerned.

(I know someone with A*AA predicteds who only found out about the change on the morning of the open day they were booked on. Needless to say, they opted not to attend.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You're absolutely right to be confused. They've made a real mess of communicating this in a timely and consistent way.

Prior to 2024 entry, most colleges required A*AA, with a few requiring A*A*A. Earlier this year they updated the PDF which summarises the per-college requirements. As far as I can tell, all they did is change the "for 2023 entry" to "for 2024 entry" at the top and then slap a "PROVISIONAL" watermark on it.

Then on 4th July, two days before the first open day, they updated it to say that every college now requires A*A*A. (They also removed the watermark.)

However, as you note, some college web sites have yet to be updated and still show A*AA. It's a mess. They should be both ashamed and embarrassed as far as I'm concerned.

(I know someone with A*AA predicteds who only found out about the change on the morning of the open day they were booked on. Needless to say, they opted not to attend.)

Suspect it comes down to the individual college teams on that. And who's allowed to edit the college website.... but completely right if they've not updated that's v v poor form.
Original post by DataVenia

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response and for helping me clarify the situation, I appreciate it.

Yeah, it's very confusing and misleading. I've been predicted A*AA and was keen on applying but I don't think there is any point now as I don't have the correct predicted grades.

I agree it is a bit disheartening, that they decided to remove the watermark 2 days before the first open day. Even the students that I was talking to on the open day seemed confused about the situation.
Original post by Paralove
Suspect it comes down to the individual college teams on that. And who's allowed to edit the college website.... but completely right if they've not updated that's v v poor form.

I completely agree, it is very misleading.
Original post by doorsandwindows
Hi,

Hi, just to add- I also went to the open day and attended the talk for PBS. I think the entry requirements are definitely A*A*A now, as it was mentioned in the talk that they increased it (can’t remember exactly why, but probably due to how competitive it is). It is misleading as the table they put out for the colleges for 2024 entry had a mix of A*AA and A*A*A, but I do think the minimum is now A*A*A.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, just to add- I also went to the open day and attended the talk for PBS. I think the entry requirements are definitely A*A*A now, as it was mentioned in the talk that they increased it (can’t remember exactly why, but probably due to how competitive it is). It is misleading as the table they put out for the colleges for 2024 entry had a mix of A*AA and A*A*A, but I do think the minimum is now A*A*A.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply! Yeah it’s a shame as I don’t think I can apply there anymore as my predicted grades are most likely A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending