The Student Room Group

Is french a-level useless?

I’m doing french right now as one of my a-levels (along with biology and psychology).
I’ve been thinking of changing to a different subject, since I’m not sure whether it will open many doors for me for my future, and I’m worried it may be too difficult to get an A in because I’m not a native speaker.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Do you actually like it?

If yes, then it's not useless.
If no, then it's useless.

That's all you need to think about when choosing A-Levels. All subjects are difficult in their own way, all subjects demonstrate different skills. No subject will open any doors for you if you get a D in it, so pick subjects you enjoy and get the best grades you can. Then you can open as many doors as you want.
Language A-levels are not designed for native speakers, so you will be tested alongside other non-native speakers. Personally I found it one of my easier A-levels, as you can do fun things like read fiction or watch films as part of your learning and revision. Plus vastly fewer people are now studying modern languages in school, especially to higher levels, so it might give you an edge if you do fairly well in it. And combining it with a literature-based subject can also be useful for a lot of university courses. That being said, if you don't feel like you're enjoying it, or if you genuinely feel like you're struggling, it might be well to at least talk to your teacher about it.
Original post by jbrandagamba
Language A-levels are not designed for native speakers, so you will be tested alongside other non-native speakers.

Many native speakers do take them. I find this unfair since they are indeed designed for non-native speakers.
Original post by hannychica
Many native speakers do take them. I find this unfair since they are indeed designed for non-native speakers.

I had a native speaker in my A-level class. She did worse than the non-native speakers (low A compared with high A and A*). While native speakers have an advantage in some areas, there's still a lot to learn (we did a module on WW2 history and studied a book, idk what the modules are like these days). Plus native speakers sometimes have notoriously bad spelling, which can definitely trip them up in the writing/grammar component (we usually did better than the native speaker on these exercises). While I don't agree it's fair they can do the exam, they're definitely not a majority, and they don't necessarily have a huge advantage.
Original post by irenxic
I’m doing french right now as one of my a-levels (along with biology and psychology).
I’ve been thinking of changing to a different subject, since I’m not sure whether it will open many doors for me for my future, and I’m worried it may be too difficult to get an A in because I’m not a native speaker.

In terms of jobs im unaware of many jobs which require a level french, or uni courses with many job opportunities that require french.

I'd say take it if you're secure you will get b+.

There are many job opportunities for you!
Here's a list i made when i used to do bio, psychology and sociology:
DENTIST:
Dentist - KCL (A*AA)
Dentist - Plymouth (A*AA/AAA/AAB)
Dental Surgery with integrated foundation year - Plymouth (Offers will not be made for both programmes)
Enhanced support dentistry - KCL (AAB)
Foundation dentistry - Manchester (AAA)
Gateway to dentistry - Bristol (BBC)

DOCTOR/SURGEON (medicine):
Doctor - Lancaster (AAA)
Doctor - Buckingham (ABB)
Doctor - Manchester (AAA)
Doctor - Sheffield (AAA)
Doctor - Kent (AAB)
Doctor - Keele (A*AA)
Doctor - Leicester (A*AA)
Doctor - East Anglia (AAA)
Doctor - Plymouth (AAA-A*AA)
Doctor - Southampton (AAA)

MEDICAL:
Audiologist - UCL (AAB)/ Southampton (ABB)
Radiologist - St George's (BBB)
Optometry - Bristol (ABB)
Pharmacy - Bradford (ABB)

LAW:
Lawyer (AAA-ABB)
Lawyer - LSE (A*AA)

OTHER:
Finance and Accounting - QMUL (AAA)
Finance and Account - Aston (ABB)

You can also take Psychology in uni and do a masters in a more specific field to open more opportunities for you!

But if you think these jobs are not what you would want/grades which seem too hard to achieve (which im sure if u work hard it wont be) then take another subject (maybe a core subject?).

But there are other job opportunities thru uni that will accept you as a student with ur subjects! Just do your research
Original post by hannychica

:colondollar:. I needed to take the subject anyway but fair point.
Original post by limbobimbo
Original post by irenxic

In terms of jobs im unaware of many jobs which require a level french, or uni courses with many job opportunities that require french.

I'd say take it if you're secure you will get b+.

There are many job opportunities for you!
Here's a list i made when i used to do bio, psychology and sociology:
DENTIST:
Dentist - KCL (A*AA)
Dentist - Plymouth (A*AA/AAA/AAB)
Dental Surgery with integrated foundation year - Plymouth (Offers will not be made for both programmes)
Enhanced support dentistry - KCL (AAB)
Foundation dentistry - Manchester (AAA)
Gateway to dentistry - Bristol (BBC)

DOCTOR/SURGEON (medicine):
Doctor - Lancaster (AAA)
Doctor - Buckingham (ABB)
Doctor - Manchester (AAA)
Doctor - Sheffield (AAA)
Doctor - Kent (AAB)
Doctor - Keele (A*AA)
Doctor - Leicester (A*AA)
Doctor - East Anglia (AAA)
Doctor - Plymouth (AAA-A*AA)
Doctor - Southampton (AAA)

MEDICAL:
Audiologist - UCL (AAB)/ Southampton (ABB)
Radiologist - St George's (BBB)
Optometry - Bristol (ABB)
Pharmacy - Bradford (ABB)

LAW:
Lawyer (AAA-ABB)
Lawyer - LSE (A*AA)

OTHER:
Finance and Accounting - QMUL (AAA)
Finance and Account - Aston (ABB)

You can also take Psychology in uni and do a masters in a more specific field to open more opportunities for you!

But if you think these jobs are not what you would want/grades which seem too hard to achieve (which im sure if u work hard it wont be) then take another subject (maybe a core subject?).

But there are other job opportunities thru uni that will accept you as a student with ur subjects! Just do your research

Omg i just clocked, I TALKED TO YOU BEFORE T-T
Reply 8
Original post by limbobimbo
Omg i just clocked, I TALKED TO YOU BEFORE T-T

Yess lol I recognised the list you made cuz I have it saved to my phone 😭😭
Original post by irenxic

Yess lol I recognised the list you made cuz I have it saved to my phone 😭😭

LMFAO i recognised ur name and was so confused 😭

Quick Reply

Latest