The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This has been happening for years in the UK as you notice it with things are smaller than previously but still paying higher prices.

With some suppliers, it wouldnt hurt i suppose. Some seem to shrink stuff more than others.
Reply 3
They'll just say they're reducing portion sizes.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
This has been happening for years in the UK as you notice it with things are smaller than previously but still paying higher prices.

It is interesting what is happening in the crisps world. I note that the regular packs are slowly being phased out in favour of "Grab bags" which are now shrinking and they too are being phased out in favour a larger 70g back which looks twice as big as a grab bag but only has 20 grams more of crisps yet is significantly more expensive.
Original post by hotpud
It is interesting what is happening in the crisps world. I note that the regular packs are slowly being phased out in favour of "Grab bags" which are now shrinking and they too are being phased out in favour a larger 70g back which looks twice as big as a grab bag but only has 20 grams more of crisps yet is significantly more expensive.

Yeah it's like you can only get double size bags for triple price :colonhash:
Original post by StriderHort

Makes sense for the manufacturer, as a bag twice as big doesn't cost twice as much to produce.
I don’t get why this is supposed to be “shameful”.

Inflation is a thing. Manufacturers and suppliers have to raise their prices one way or another, be it by increasing the price of the actual item or reducing its size. We’re not still living in the times when your weekly shop cost a couple of shillings.

You could argue it’s underhanded because they try to do it without you realising. But supermarkets already tend to put a “price per kg” or “price per litre” label on whatever it is you’re buying, so you can easily see it anyway.
Reply 8
I'd assumed in the UK it was the supermarkets telling their manufacturers to reduce the size rather than increase the price.*

The UK supermarkets are the dominant party in the commercial relationship with suppliers

2015 https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/05/tesco-faces-investigation-over-how-it-pays-suppliers
2023 https://www.grocerygazette.co.uk/2023/08/16/adjudicator-supplier-fees/

---
*edit
or raise price and reduce size simultaneously cos that's happening too.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud

Crisps aren't the only thing shrinking as bars of chocolates and other stuff is shrinking to but prices like you said is more expensive than before.

I think majority of supermarkets are aiming for multi bags of crisps rather than single packs as there are more multi bags than single packs on shelves......
Reply 10
Original post by tazarooni89
I don’t get why this is supposed to be “shameful”.

Inflation is a thing. Manufacturers and suppliers have to raise their prices one way or another, be it by increasing the price of the actual item or reducing its size. We’re not still living in the times when your weekly shop cost a couple of shillings.

You could argue it’s underhanded because they try to do it without you realising. But supermarkets already tend to put a “price per kg” or “price per litre” label on whatever it is you’re buying, so you can easily see it anyway.

Consumers can remember what a pack cost them last time more easily than they can remember what the £/kg was last time they bought a pack.

Theres some funny business with the unit pricing too, you get similar products stating £/kg or £/100g seemingly at random.
Cant see any reason for that other than to make it more difficult to remember and compare
Original post by Joinedup
Consumers can remember what a pack cost them last time more easily than they can remember what the £/kg was last time they bought a pack.

Theres some funny business with the unit pricing too, you get similar products stating £/kg or £/100g seemingly at random.
Cant see any reason for that other than to make it more difficult to remember and compare

Then I'd suggest supermarkets don't need to put "shrinkflation" labels on things just to shame suppliers. They'd just need to provide better £/kg type information so customers can see, understand and remember it more easily (instead of e.g. confining it to the small print).

Plus it seems odd for a supermarket to want to shame suppliers when they too experience inflation and it's also in their interests for customers to spend more money...
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort

I think it is much more subtle than that. You get a much bigger back which is a little bit more expensive but it doesn't have that much more crisps than the smaller bag is replaces. Then over time, you reduce the size of the packaging whilst keeping the price the same and reducing the amount of crisps inside.
Original post by hotpud
I think it is much more subtle than that. You get a much bigger back which is a little bit more expensive but it doesn't have that much more crisps than the smaller bag is replaces. Then over time, you reduce the size of the packaging whilst keeping the price the same and reducing the amount of crisps inside.

Oh I get you, I think I was just describing the end/present result of this, but yea it's a load of sneaky wee steps that have got us here.
Original post by Tracey_W
I think majority of supermarkets are aiming for multi bags of crisps rather than single packs as there are more multi bags than single packs on shelves......

Supermarkets I'd agree, but express/convenience stores are deffo fighting it out with the bigger single bags rather than multis imo, for whatever reason.
Original post by Joinedup

There is also making meat soggy to boost it's weight or not displaying the special offers £/kg but only the regular price.
Then I'd suggest supermarkets don't need to put "shrinkflation" labels on things just to shame suppliers. They'd just need to provide better £/kg type information so customers can see, understand and remember it more easily (instead of e.g. confining it to the small print).

Customers aren't going to remember the unit / £ information to every product they buy, even if they buy it regularly. New customers won't know historic information either.

I think more supermarkets should add these labels. I don't want to spend more money for less, I want to avoid brands that do this.
Original post by SHallowvale
Customers aren't going to remember the unit / £ information to every product they buy, even if they buy it regularly. New customers won't know historic information either.

I think more supermarkets should add these labels. I don't want to spend more money for less, I want to avoid brands that do this.

Each to their own I suppose. I personally wouldn't care how much the product used to cost before; obviously prices per unit will always increase with inflation on the whole, so it's kind of irrelevant to me. I'd just care about how much it costs now and whether that's still a price I'm willing to pay.

I'd be more interested in seeing information like how much competitor supermarkets or competitor brands are charging for an equivalent item.
(edited 6 months ago)
If they did, a lot of suppliers would say that they were reducing portion sizes or trying to improve customer health by supplying products with much fewer calories or levels of salt/sugar/saturated fats.

Some of the largest and most wealthy of internatinal companies would be likely to turn hostile towards any supermarket who attempted such shaming tactics on them.
This could involve ending preferrential supplier arrangements or opting to supply rival supermarkets at very low price levels in a manner that may come close to contravening any predator pricing legal restrictions in force.
Each to their own I suppose. I personally wouldn't care how much the product used to cost before; obviously prices per unit will always increase with inflation on the whole, so it's kind of irrelevant to me. I'd just care about how much it costs now and whether that's still a price I'm willing to pay.

I'd be more interested in seeing information like how much competitor supermarkets or competitor brands are charging for an equivalent item.

This is shrinkflation, not inflation. Would you be happy paying the same amount (adjusted for inflation) for less product? I wouldn't and I don't think many other people would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending