The Student Room Group

How to find energy suppliers (first time renting)

My flat and I are trying to set up utilities for our first private accommodation but we cannot understand how to deal with energy companies at the moment. No switching sites, plus several energy company sites, allow you to sign on to energy contracts due to current market volatility, and none of the switching sites work anyway as all the prices are old. Is it possible to renew the previous tenants' contract or will we just have to bite the bullet and go with an expensive contract on one of the few sites we can find that have prices? Is there a simpler way to do this?
Original post by dcpr1ce
My flat and I are trying to set up utilities for our first private accommodation but we cannot understand how to deal with energy companies at the moment. No switching sites, plus several energy company sites, allow you to sign on to energy contracts due to current market volatility, and none of the switching sites work anyway as all the prices are old. Is it possible to renew the previous tenants' contract or will we just have to bite the bullet and go with an expensive contract on one of the few sites we can find that have prices? Is there a simpler way to do this?

Hiya

You'd first have to find out who the energy supplier is for your house. You can find it here using your postcode. Once you've done that, ring the energy supplier and tell them that you've just moved in. If you want to continue with the supplier, you can tell them to set up an account in your name- they will ask you for your current meter readings and then you'll have to submit meter readings every month to get your bill.

If you want to go for another supplier, cut off the connection with the current supplier (if the previous tenants haven't done that already) and then contact the new one. Follow the above steps then.

When I was searching, I also found some services that take care of your utility bills for you- The Bunch, Glide, One Utility Bill. I didn't use them cause I thought they'd be expensive but in the end, all my bills averaged about the combined package these companies were offering. If you do opt for these, it's best to ask if they're offering a fixed package or whether the price they charge you will vary depending on your consumption.

-Himieka
Original post by dcpr1ce

Hi there,

I recommend calling up energy providers to get a quote on what their standing charges (I think this is just to have the gas or electricity transported to your property) are and unit rates (they charge a certain price per kWh).

As above you may need to contact your property's current provider first, so you can get an idea on their prices to see if you want to stick them still.

I hope that helps :smile:
We're in a unique position with the energy crises as so there are no cheaper deals on the market.

OFGEM have set the unit prices/standing charges with a maximum ceiling and the prices have just shifted to that by all the suppliers (and will increase again in October).

Check that the current supplier is one of the bigger ones with a good reputation (as so many energy suppliers have collapsed in the past year).

I would suggest you stay with the current provider and go onto their standard variable rate. It will be expensive but there is no real escaping it at the moment. As you are renting and shorter term, I don't think a fixed deal will be good for you.
This is a warning for any student who may wish to use a third party such as Fused for paying their utility bills. Read the article https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/26/students-warned-to-beware-hidden-costs-of-bill-splitting-firms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending