The Student Room Group

Is studying dental therapy in KCL worth it?

Hi, I'm in year 13 and thinking of doing dental therapy as a bsc in university. I wanted to apply to London universities as I don't really have the means to move out and it's more convenient. I looked into the course and found that the satisfaction of the course wasn't that high.

On of the universities I'm planning to apply to is KCL, but the student satisfaction score is at 38% which is what's putting me off. LSBU is also another university which offers dental therapy / hygiene but offers no stats of the course.

Overall student survey gives the course negative feedback; 36% of students saying they received sufficient advice and guidance, 6% saying the course was organised and running smoothly, 34% saying marking and assessments have been fair etc.
(link to the course details: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10003645/UBSH3NSDS/Full-time/)
The website also uses data from students on other courses in Dentistry so I can't tell how accurate it is.

The stats are making me question if the degree is even worth doing. I understand that this is a relatively new course but it's unsettling how low it is. This may sound ignorant and I understand that a good uni doesn't mean that the courses are all necessarily good too, and I also understand that just because there's less data doesn't make it a bad degree. But I think I didn't expect KCL to have such low satisfaction rates. I can't tell if it's because the course is just that difficult or if the teaching is not that good or if it's just because it's new. What I want to know is, is it worth applying for or should I just forget about it and apply for something else? Or, if anyone has done this course or is currently studying it, how would you rate it?
Reply 1
i don’t know if this helps but KCL has low student satisfaction rate for most courses. queen mary uni also do oral health which allows you to work as a dental therapist or hygienist which is another good option!

Quick Reply

Latest