The Student Room Group

What’s more competitive ? Nursing? social work? teaching?

This is a debate!
What degrees are more competitive, nursing, social work or education(primary)?
What jobs are more competitive?
Which pays more?
This is just a debate and your opinions (facts too)
Let’s have a debate!! <3
Original post by alevelstudent090
This is a debate!
Which pays more?

In my own skewed opinion (because I don't work in any of the fields), I would say nursing and education are neck and neck in terms of pay. Social work probably pays the least.

In terms of competition, it's difficult to say. The public sector is short in all these areas. However, I would say education is probably more in demand than nursing. The least would be social work.

I don't have the specific figures, but I think you can check on certain stats. You can also check the job profiles for the salaries in these fields e.g. National Careers Advice, Career Pilot, Prospects.
Original post by MindMax2000
In my own skewed opinion (because I don't work in any of the fields), I would say nursing and education are neck and neck in terms of pay. Social work probably pays the least.

In terms of competition, it's difficult to say. The public sector is short in all these areas. However, I would say education is probably more in demand than nursing. The least would be social work.

I don't have the specific figures, but I think you can check on certain stats. You can also check the job profiles for the salaries in these fields e.g. National Careers Advice, Career Pilot, Prospects.

they all get paid so little for what they do especially social workers as you said they get paid less!! the starting pay is good but there needs to be more progression pay but there isn’t.

thanks for your input in the debate !!
they all get paid so little for what they do especially social workers as you said they get paid less!! the starting pay is good but there needs to be more progression pay but there isn’t.

thanks for your input in the debate !!

No argument there. I would probably vote for them to get a pay rise where possible. However, I would rather improve their working conditions before giving them the pay rise - reduce the unnecessary stress before you increase the pay.
If anything, from recent news, the number of people actively walking out of these professions show how little they are being paid.

With nurses, I think they're more critical than the rest considering they actively help people as opposed to teachers and social workers who just contribute to society (not saying either roles are unimportant).

However, that's just me with my uninformative opinion
Reply 5
Salary is similar in nursing and social work. Workload sucks in both.

Teachers probably work the most unpaid hours. out of the three professions.

Yes, wages should be much better in all roles due to the conditions and responsibility, but none of them are careers people should go into for the money alone.
Reply 6
This is a debate!
Which pays more?

Is there anything to debate when it comes to facts? All are professions in desperate need of more staff so if you have a pulse and are happy to go where the gaps are, you're in.
As for pay, well
Teachers start on £28k and top out on around £130k.
Nurses start on £28.4k and top out on around £114k
Social workers seem to be employed a bit more ad hoc but seem to have average salaries of £38k with no doubt higher salaries for senior management positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending