The Student Room Group

Can you become a PE TEACHER with a Public Health and Wellbeing degree? (Not sport)

So ive read online that to become a PE teacher you need a sports related degree. Is this absolutely mandatory?

If i had a degree in public health and wellbeing, would that not be enough for the PGCE teacher training in Physical education?
Reply 1
Original post by Neo001
So ive read online that to become a PE teacher you need a sports related degree. Is this absolutely mandatory?

If i had a degree in public health and wellbeing, would that not be enough for the PGCE teacher training in Physical education?

You're best asking your university if they'd accept that, sometimes, an interest and passion in a subject is enough. I'm a food tech teacher, and I know that my uni will take someone with no degree in food as long as they can demonstrate their passion and subject knowledge - because the country is in dire need of food teachers.

However, PE is a pretty competitive PGCE - I think there were more PE students on my PGCE than most other subjects combined. This usually means they will be looking for those with strong subject knowledge. My uni states "which includes substantial elements of physical education or sports-related studies." on their application for PE.

My degree is in Nutrition and Public Health, and there is no way I'd feel confident enough to teach GCSE theory to PE students despite knowing how the body works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending