The Student Room Group

Training to teach with a 3rd class degree

Hi all,

I have quite a few question so feel free to answer some, all or none!
I have been working in a school for 3 years now and next year will be my 4th. My first 2 years were as a TA based in the PE department and this last year I was given the job of “SEND PE and Enrichment Coordinator” and was in charge of helping organising and teaching a more accessible and differentiated PE curriculum for the pupils in our SEND base and also organising sporting and enrichment events for them to attend to raise their aspirations. I also started and delivered a Sports Leaders Qualification to our SEND pupils, all of this ignited a desire to do my teacher training.

At uni I studied Wildlife Conservation which was purely science based so if I was to do my teacher training would I have to do it in science? Or would my years of experience in PE allow me to do my training there? (I would prefer to be in PE)

I also received a 3rd in my degree because I became a bit disengaged with my time at uni but this means I would not be eligible for any bursaries if I opted to go down the science route, does anyone know if there are any plans to change this?

Finally would the fact that I only received a 3rd class degree put prospective teacher training companies or schools off accepting me for an interview?

Cheers,

Rob
Hi Rob,

Most providers do require a 2:2 or above in a degree and many providers want a "relevant" degree in the subject you want to teach. Saying that, it sounds like you have relevant experience and have shown your ability to teach, so it is a case of contacting providers of initial teacher training and having a discussion with them. You can find providers here: https://www.gov.uk/find-postgraduate-teacher-training-courses You would not be eligible for a bursary, I'm afraid - unless you decided to do a Masters level qualification which would trump the 3rd class degree. Also, have you spoken to your school and asked if they would consider you on a teaching apprenticeship, for example?

Good luck!
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending