The Student Room Group

A level Mechanics 1

A small ball is projected vertically upwards with speed 29.4ms-1 from a point A which is
19.6m above horizontal ground.
The ball is modelled as a particle moving freely under gravity until it hits the ground. It is
assumed that the ball does not rebound.
(a) Find the distance travelled by the ball while its speed is less than 14.7ms-1
(3)
(b) Find the time for which the ball is moving with a speed of more than 29.4ms-1
I could solve no-a but I'm tearing my head trying to solve to no-b while assigning sign conventions.I took upwards as positive,so shouldn't be equation come 29.4t-4.9t2=-19.6? If I'm wrong,please do correct me,and please explain the appropriate sign conventions to be used here
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anlasan
A small ball is projected vertically upwards with speed 29.4ms-1 from a point A which is
19.6m above horizontal ground.
The ball is modelled as a particle moving freely under gravity until it hits the ground. It is
assumed that the ball does not rebound.
(a) Find the distance travelled by the ball while its speed is less than 14.7ms-1
(3)
(b) Find the time for which the ball is moving with a speed of more than 29.4ms-1
I could solve no-a but I'm tearing my head trying to solve to no-b while assigning sign conventions.I took upwards as positive,so shouldn't be equation come 29.4t-4.9t2=-19.6? If I'm wrong,please do correct me,and please explain the appropriate sign conventions to be used here

A sketch is always useful, but it should be fairly easy to reason about when the speed is equal to 29.4 (in relation to the initial point), and so the section when the speed is > 29.4 should be clear. Youll need that time and the total time of flight.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
A sketch is always useful, but it should be fairly easy to reason about when the speed is equal to 29.4 (in relation to the initial point), and so the section when the speed is > 29.4 should be clear. Youll need that time and the total time of flight.

Okay but how do we use s=ut+1/2at2 here with appropriate sign conventions?
Reply 3
Original post by Anlasan
Okay but how do we use s=ut+1/2at2 here with appropriate sign conventions?

The only thing youd use that for is the total time of flight which you had correct in the OP, so if up is positive a=-9.8, u=29.4 and s=-19.6.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
The only thing youd use that for is the total time of flight which you had correct in the OP, so if up is positive a=-9.8, u=29.4 and s=-19.6.

I got t=6.61s (2dp) and t= -0.61s,but in the mark scheme the answers is written t=0.61,and they used 19.6=29.4t+4.9t2
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anlasan
I got t=6.61s (2dp) and t= -0.61s,but in the mark scheme the answers are to=6.61 and t=0.61s,they used 19.6=29.4t+4.9t2

Thats a different equation. Your answer is correct for the time of flight 6.61 from the initial point and playing time backwards, the parabolic trajectory would have started on the ground at -0.61s. You could note the symmetry in the prorblem and note the time theyre after is 0.61 or calculate the time to velocity=-29.4, so 6s, and subtract that from the total time or ...

The model solution has expllicity put the initial point at a height of 19.6 above the ground and an initial velcoity of -29.4 (heading down on the final phase) get the time when the speed is greater than 29.4. That will give -6.61 (playing time back) and 0.61 which is the answer for the time of this phase of flight.

A sketch really helps.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest