The Student Room Group

I struggle really badly with attendance

I’m in year 11 and I know it’s a REALLY important year for me and I’m really trying to attend school but I just can’t. I’ve always struggled with actually going to school whether it’s been because of the school itself, bullying, anxiety or sometimes what feels like nothing at all, I’m just really bad at it! I’m very smart in my opinion and always do well in exams, especially english and maths, that isn’t an issue and never has been, it’s literally just the act of going to and being in school. I feel so bad because I know it upsets my mum and it often makes her feel quite helpless (as well as it does me) and I know my peers must have some not very nice opinions of me because of it, but I really just don’t know what to do or how to be better at it. I’m also worried about college because I don’t know if they’ll want to accept me when they see how low my attendance is.
Does anyone else struggle to this degree? Or have any advice on getting better?
Original post by lilshtn
I’m in year 11 and I know it’s a REALLY important year for me and I’m really trying to attend school but I just can’t. I’ve always struggled with actually going to school whether it’s been because of the school itself, bullying, anxiety or sometimes what feels like nothing at all, I’m just really bad at it! I’m very smart in my opinion and always do well in exams, especially english and maths, that isn’t an issue and never has been, it’s literally just the act of going to and being in school. I feel so bad because I know it upsets my mum and it often makes her feel quite helpless (as well as it does me) and I know my peers must have some not very nice opinions of me because of it, but I really just don’t know what to do or how to be better at it. I’m also worried about college because I don’t know if they’ll want to accept me when they see how low my attendance is.

Have you spoken to the school first? If you can explain your situation, they would at least record the reason on your file,

Make sure you are attending counselling or therapy.
Original post by lilshtn

I'm struggling aswell with attendance. In my opinion what you have to focus on at the moment is starting a rhythm of going to school, and connecting with the people you enjoy being around. As you slowly attend more and more it starts to get easier to push through. If you have piled up school work you have to bring that up with your teachers so they can help you move past it.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest