The Student Room Group

Astrobiology

Heya! Hope you’re doing good today :smile:

I’m in year 12 and was pursuing medicine, however I honestly don’t have a desire to do it (unlike my friends).
My mother had always thought I would pursue a ‘medical pathway’ to become a GP/medical practitioner, but I don’t dream of learning about that.
I really want to learn about life on earth and beyond too. I was always interested in extraterrestrial life that existed before us and may possibly exist in the future. I found this course recently and I think it really suits me.

One problem is Physics, even in GCSE although I got a good grade (8) we were given advanced info and some concepts such as magnetism I still haven’t gotten my head around it (trust me I tried for days). But I did do geography and loved the geology aspect of it.

So my question(s) are
- Do I have to do Physics or Maths at A level to get into Astrobiology?
- Do I have to get into something else before I go into Astrobiology, e.g biomed? (I saw something like that online)
- Also if anyone has studied this course, can you please explain what you do now? E.g, Do you have a job with a stable income + do you work in a lab setting?

Thankyou for your time

Best wishes
Winter

Update:- I found out that you can do Biology or Chemistry as an undergraduate degree and then do a masters in astrobiology? Please confirm, Thankyou
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
First of all, I think Maths may be compulsory at GCSE level, but I wouldn't think an A-level in maths would be necessary for astrobiology. Physics maybe...?
Have not personally studied the course but that's my best guess.
Reply 2
Original post by EN62938
First of all, I think Maths may be compulsory at GCSE level, but I wouldn't think an A-level in maths would be necessary for astrobiology. Physics maybe...?
Have not personally studied the course but that's my best guess.

Yes, I guess you would need to know physics… I saw online that astrobiology was apparently a masters degree? So hypothetically you would do an undergraduate degree in Physics, Chemistry or Biology (and maybe Biomed but I’m not sure - if anyone else knows please do tell) and then a masters in astrobiology.
You’re right, maths is compulsory at GCSE for everyone, not too sure if it’s compulsory at A-level for this course.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest