The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL tutorials, accommodation, everything

Hello! I've got an offer from UCL (geography), I need help please with some questions:
How is the accommodation? (noisy/quiet/good/bad/old etc., the rooms, bathrooms and kitchens, 2nd and 3rd years accommodation)
Do UCL students have tutorials like at Oxbridge? And if yes, how big are the groups? And how often do the tutorials take place?
Are undergrads assigned a tutor for all 3 years? And what does that tutor do?
How are the international students treated/viewed here?
(Is this uni good for geography and environmental science? Like hw good are the professors at this, is the department developed?)
Sorry for the avalanche of questions, I'm super nervous and excited about this, I'll be forever grateful for your help :smile:
Reply 1
bump
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by leno_o
bump

you could've helped at least, or said nothing...
Oxbridge tutorials are unique to Oxbridge.

UCL have tutorials like other unis I.e. small class/seminar settings. Probably 10-20 students per section (maybe less in s.aller courses, but I doubt fewer than 5 in any case).

You'll have a personal tutor throughout who will support with any admin or pastoral matters, although you probably won't have the same one every year (my department has a different personal tutor for each year group).

There certainly are a lot of international students at UCL, I assume they have as good a time as at any uni in terms of how they get on with other students.

I don't know anything about the department specifically (not my dept) or accommodation (I commute) though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
you could've helped at least, or said nothing...

by bumping it, im pushing it to the top of the thread. i dont know the answers to the questions, but i want to know, so im trying to make it reach more people.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello! I've got an offer from UCL (geography), I need help please with some questions:
How is the accommodation? (noisy/quiet/good/bad/old etc., the rooms, bathrooms and kitchens, 2nd and 3rd years accommodation)
Do UCL students have tutorials like at Oxbridge? And if yes, how big are the groups? And how often do the tutorials take place?
Are undergrads assigned a tutor for all 3 years? And what does that tutor do?
How are the international students treated/viewed here?
(Is this uni good for geography and environmental science? Like hw good are the professors at this, is the department developed?)
Sorry for the avalanche of questions, I'm super nervous and excited about this, I'll be forever grateful for your help :smile:

Hi, I studied bsc geography at ucl. Ucl has a lot of accommodations scattering around central London and they vary a lot depending on their locations and room type. You might need to do some research when it comes to applying for accommodations. They being said it’s also very common you don’t get allocated your first choice.
At ucl we don’t have tutorials like oxbridge, we only have seminars with 10-20 people like artful_lounger said and tutorials refer to the meet up with your personal tutor (usually 5-10 people per tutor group in geography). The tutorials take place every few weeks, but it really depends on the tutor. I think you get two tutors for the whole three years, one physical and one human. Tbh tutors don’t really do much it’s mainly to discuss about non academic stuff like how uni life has been.
There are many internationals at ucl (i am one myself!) and you will feel right at home!
Ucl is one of the best uni for physical geography, most professors are so nice and helpful and very good at their job! it is very research focus, so good if you like scientific research! I enjoyed it so much I did my masters there too! You will love it I promise!
Reply 6
Original post by joannaddg
Hi, I studied bsc geography at ucl. Ucl has a lot of accommodations scattering around central London and they vary a lot depending on their locations and room type. You might need to do some research when it comes to applying for accommodations. They being said it’s also very common you don’t get allocated your first choice.
At ucl we don’t have tutorials like oxbridge, we only have seminars with 10-20 people like artful_lounger said and tutorials refer to the meet up with your personal tutor (usually 5-10 people per tutor group in geography). The tutorials take place every few weeks, but it really depends on the tutor. I think you get two tutors for the whole three years, one physical and one human. Tbh tutors don’t really do much it’s mainly to discuss about non academic stuff like how uni life has been.
There are many internationals at ucl (i am one myself!) and you will feel right at home!
Ucl is one of the best uni for physical geography, most professors are so nice and helpful and very good at their job! it is very research focus, so good if you like scientific research! I enjoyed it so much I did my masters there too! You will love it I promise!

Forgot to add about the accommodation, ucl don’t usually offer rooms for 2nd and 3rd year. But there are plenty of private student accommodations in London and you can always just rent a flat with friends/coursemates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending