The Student Room Group

Struggling as an ADHD Uni student

Hi I’m a student at Lancaster Uni and I’m returning for my second year.

Last February I started the process of getting diagnosed for ADHD and the waiting time at the moment is over 12 months. I have become incredibly burnt out, sometimes to the extent to where my executive dysfunction prevents me from cooking meals or taking care of myself in general.

I’ve been looking at my timetable (and I know it’s probably more laid back than most peoples’ because I’m studying arts) but I’m just getting so stressed out. I feel like I’m drowning. I don’t know how to recover from burnout, I don’t know if I’m just depressed. I feel like everything is just going to get too much.

I have a DSA assessment in a few days so I can hopefully explain what sort of things I have going on - I don’t know what help they will offer me, I’ve tried CBT and anxiety meds but I just don’t gel with that sorta thing. I don’t think they suit how my brain functions.

I don’t know how to help myself when every little thing completely drains me. When I rest I feel bored and guilty but when I try to do something I get overstimulated and need days to recover, which isn’t usually possible with Uni.

This is more of a rant than a question really but I feel like this is a safe space and I welcome people to share any tips or similar experiences.
Ugh I related to this so much! I haven't been diagnosed yet but I relate to so many signs and symptoms. Can I ask how did you get diagnosed? was it free or did you have to go private?

Anyways, I'm not sure this will be helpful but here goes:

I feel like doing things that make you happy can make you more motivated. Go out, meet up with friends, join a society, buy some new things, treat yourself. Also, at the end of the day try reflecting on what you have achieved that day and that will motivate you. Get out of bed, make your bed, get changed, eat a meal. As soon as you have something you need to do (like washing dishes), don't save it for later, just deal with it there and then. Keep in contact with friends and family, open up about what you're going through and they will try and support you and encourage you to help yourself. Set alarms and reminders on your phone. Write a list of things you want to achieve today and the future. Try and tick off at least one thing that you want to achieve today. Reading positive affirmations can really help when mental health is low. For me, writing things that I need to do on post it notes helps, because when you finish it the pile just gets lighter and lighter and eventually all of them will be gone and you will feel satisfied. :smile:
Original post by jashow04
Hi I’m a student at Lancaster Uni and I’m returning for my second year.

Last February I started the process of getting diagnosed for ADHD and the waiting time at the moment is over 12 months. I have become incredibly burnt out, sometimes to the extent to where my executive dysfunction prevents me from cooking meals or taking care of myself in general.

I’ve been looking at my timetable (and I know it’s probably more laid back than most peoples’ because I’m studying arts) but I’m just getting so stressed out. I feel like I’m drowning. I don’t know how to recover from burnout, I don’t know if I’m just depressed. I feel like everything is just going to get too much.

I have a DSA assessment in a few days so I can hopefully explain what sort of things I have going on - I don’t know what help they will offer me, I’ve tried CBT and anxiety meds but I just don’t gel with that sorta thing. I don’t think they suit how my brain functions.

I don’t know how to help myself when every little thing completely drains me. When I rest I feel bored and guilty but when I try to do something I get overstimulated and need days to recover, which isn’t usually possible with Uni.

This is more of a rant than a question really but I feel like this is a safe space and I welcome people to share any tips or similar experiences.

Hi Jashow04, thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is really important for us to understand experiences of everyone who goes through things like these. I also struggle with ADHD although undiagnosed and I feel like it is a constant battle with myself to get things done.
One way I try to tackle the issues I face is finding systems that work for me, no matter how unconventional they may be and and doing my best to stick to them. Although there may be days where I falter in this, I give myself grace and understand its not my fault I act like this. It's ok to start small as well so don't feel bad if you can't accomplish much at once.
Hope this helped even if only a little.
Reply 3
Original post by sashadivachic
Ugh I related to this so much! I haven't been diagnosed yet but I relate to so many signs and symptoms. Can I ask how did you get diagnosed? was it free or did you have to go private?

Anyways, I'm not sure this will be helpful but here goes:

I feel like doing things that make you happy can make you more motivated. Go out, meet up with friends, join a society, buy some new things, treat yourself. Also, at the end of the day try reflecting on what you have achieved that day and that will motivate you. Get out of bed, make your bed, get changed, eat a meal. As soon as you have something you need to do (like washing dishes), don't save it for later, just deal with it there and then. Keep in contact with friends and family, open up about what you're going through and they will try and support you and encourage you to help yourself. Set alarms and reminders on your phone. Write a list of things you want to achieve today and the future. Try and tick off at least one thing that you want to achieve today. Reading positive affirmations can really help when mental health is low. For me, writing things that I need to do on post it notes helps, because when you finish it the pile just gets lighter and lighter and eventually all of them will be gone and you will feel satisfied. :smile:

Thankyou so much for sharing some things that work for you <3

I’ve been given an informal diagnosis my my GP, but I haven’t got an official diagnosis as I’m only in referral at the mo. So many people are on the waiting list and I’ve been told it takes over 12 months to hear back, so I’m hoping to be contacted around February for an assessment. I’m going through everything with the NHS as I’ve waited this long I’m not sure going private will make much of a difference.

Thankyou again for your kind words <3
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Jashow04, thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is really important for us to understand experiences of everyone who goes through things like these. I also struggle with ADHD although undiagnosed and I feel like it is a constant battle with myself to get things done.
One way I try to tackle the issues I face is finding systems that work for me, no matter how unconventional they may be and and doing my best to stick to them. Although there may be days where I falter in this, I give myself grace and understand its not my fault I act like this. It's ok to start small as well so don't feel bad if you can't accomplish much at once.
Hope this helped even if only a little.

Thankyou this was so validating to hear - I think I am yet to find a system that works for me, or find one that has enough novelty that I don’t get bored of it after a couple days.
Original post by jashow04
Thankyou so much for sharing some things that work for you <3

I’ve been given an informal diagnosis my my GP, but I haven’t got an official diagnosis as I’m only in referral at the mo. So many people are on the waiting list and I’ve been told it takes over 12 months to hear back, so I’m hoping to be contacted around February for an assessment. I’m going through everything with the NHS as I’ve waited this long I’m not sure going private will make much of a difference.

Thankyou again for your kind words <3

Hey, you're so welcome! Thanks for letting me know, hopefully you get a proper diagnosis and everything works out for you! <3

Quick Reply

Latest