The Student Room Group

If you have slow processing and working memory issues, what helped you?

Hello

I hope it’s ok for me to post. My son is in Y8 and will be doing the 3-year GCSE course. He has slow processing and working memory issues, and so finds memorisation and getting his thoughts down difficult. I know it’s early days, but I wondered if you could share your experience? What helped you?
Reply 1
Original post by Sarak77
Hello

I hope it’s ok for me to post. My son is in Y8 and will be doing the 3-year GCSE course. He has slow processing and working memory issues, and so finds memorisation and getting his thoughts down difficult. I know it’s early days, but I wondered if you could share your experience? What helped you?

Hi! I have a processing disorder, and what I found helps is to experiment with different types of media for revision, like videos, highlighting worksheets, repetition, music, flashcards, and quizzes. Doing things with active memory recall helps a lot with memorisation.
Reply 2
Original post by waffelton
Hi! I have a processing disorder, and what I found helps is to experiment with different types of media for revision, like videos, highlighting worksheets, repetition, music, flashcards, and quizzes. Doing things with active memory recall helps a lot with memorisation.

Thank you so much for replying! Can I ask how many subjects you are sitting for and whether you are doing the 2 or 3 year programme? If 3 years, do you find it less intense?
I found blurting really useful as I didn't have to right stuff down or read (so reducing the amount of processing I needed to do) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by toothysmile
I found blurting really useful as I didn't have to right stuff down or read (so reducing the amount of processing I needed to do) :smile:

Thank you for that. I haven’t heard of Blurting and so will look it up.
Reply 5
Original post by Sarak77
Thank you so much for replying! Can I ask how many subjects you are sitting for and whether you are doing the 2 or 3 year programme? If 3 years, do you find it less intense?

I did the 2 year course and 8 subjects because I moved to the UK in Year 10. I found it quite hard to catch up with my classmates who had done the 3 year course, and had to self-teach myself a lot of the modules I had missed. I think the 3 year course would have definitely helped my grades and making things less stressful for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest