The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Exeter unis

Hello, I’m currently in year 13 and I want to study marketing with management/business management with marketing so I’m applying as a 2024 applicant.
I have already decided that I want to apply to Lancaster,east Angelia, Leeds and York but the 5th is difficult.

Can someone reply to tell me which uni is best
Original post by stargirl28
Hello, I’m currently in year 13 and I want to study marketing with management/business management with marketing so I’m applying as a 2024 applicant.
I have already decided that I want to apply to Lancaster,east Angelia, Leeds and York but the 5th is difficult.

Just apply to those 4 for now - you can add your 5th choice in January when you might have some decisions and have had more time to research
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Just apply to those 4 for now - you can add your 5th choice in January when you might have some decisions and have had more time to research

I have researched both and I even went to Loughborough open day recently and I like it but I also like Exeter as well. Do u have any advice for me to choose

Hi @stargirl28

It's great to hear you're thinking about applying to study at Loughborough!

I've just started my second year here studying Marketing and Management so I thought I might be able to help.

So far I've really enjoyed the course. There's been lots of variation in modules which has been nice as I've been able to do a bit of accounting, economics, business law as well as the marketing modules and more general management modules. Something that really appealed to me at Loughborough was being able to choose modules from your first year as no other unis I looked at offered this. It was nice that not all the modules were compulsory ones and you got to tailor your degree right from year one. I would take a look at the course pages for both Loughborough and Exeter again and if you go to the 'what I'll study' section on the Loughborough page you'll be able to see the modules you would be studying and see if anything interests you in particular. It may also be helpful to take a look at the placement year section and also the 'your future career' section just to see what sort of roles graduates from this course have gone into and at what companies.

Another reason I chose to come to Loughborough was for the placement year. I knew a year in industry was something I wanted to do and I was really impressed with the careers support here and the links with business Loughborough has. Loughborough Business School has a dedicated placements team that will support you when looking for a placement and for a graduate role. They've been really helpful this summer while I've been getting my CV ready to look for placements and can also help me to prepare for an interview and at each stage of the process. You can access thei support for up to 3 years after graduating.

I'd say it's also worth considering the location of the unis as they are in different parts of the country. I can't speak for Exeter but I've never had an issue getting anywhere from Loughborough, with Leicester and Nottingham being less than a 20 minute train ride away and being able to get to London in around an hour and a half by train. It's also very easy to get north of Loughborough as well and there is also the option to get coaches that go all around the UK. There is even an airport close by if you wanted to go abroad!

I would also take a look at the extracurricular activities on offer. There might be a particular society or sports club you wanted to join so it's worth checking those out.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions just let us know :smile:

Jess
(edited 6 months ago)
I have researched both and I even went to Loughborough open day recently and I like it but I also like Exeter as well. Do u have any advice for me to choose

Hi @stargirl28,

It's great to hear you are considering the University of Exeter! I hope your application process has been going ok so far - I know it can be really difficult to choose between different universities, but hopefully I can offer a bit of support!

First, I would definitely recommend taking a closer look at the modules on offer. There might be more choice available at one university compared to another, or certain modules that you are more interested in than others. It's also worth considering contact hours and assessment types - again this will vary! Personally, one of the reasons I chose to study History at Exeter was because all assessments were coursework based and I didn't have to sit any timed exams! Obviously, this is subject to change each year but it will help give you an idea of the sort of university experience you will be getting.

In addition to studying at university, clubs and societies are a great way to engage with the student community and develop any interests you may (or may not!) already have. This might be another way of distinguishing between where you want to go!

I can see you have already attended an Open Day at Loughborough - if you are interested in attending one at Exeter, you can find more information about it here.

On a more personal note, I have really enjoyed my time here at the University of Exeter. I study at Streatham Campus, where it is beautiful and green, an ideal place to enjoy the outdoors during the spring and summer. Additionally, it is about a 15 minute walk from town, where there are plenty of restaurants, shops, bars and nightclubs to choose from. Above all, I have found that there is a really amazing sense of community amongst the students - being surrounded by supportive and friendly faces has made both studying and living in Exeter a really great experience.

Please do let me know if you have any other questions - I hope this has helped in some way!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @stargirl28

It's great to hear you're thinking about applying to study at Loughborough!

I've just started my second year here studying Marketing and Management so I thought I might be able to help.

So far I've really enjoyed the course. There's been lots of variation in modules which has been nice as I've been able to do a bit of accounting, economics, business law as well as the marketing modules and more general management modules. Something that really appealed to me at Loughborough was being able to choose modules from your first year as no other unis I looked at offered this. It was nice that not all the modules were compulsory ones and you got to tailor your degree right from year one. I would take a look at the course pages for both Loughborough and Exeter again and if you go to the 'what I'll study' section on the Loughborough page you'll be able to see the modules you would be studying and see if anything interests you in particular. It may also be helpful to take a look at the placement year section and also the 'your future career' section just to see what sort of roles graduates from this course have gone into and at what companies.

Another reason I chose to come to Loughborough was for the placement year. I knew a year in industry was something I wanted to do and I was really impressed with the careers support here and the links with business Loughborough has. Loughborough Business School has a dedicated placements team that will support you when looking for a placement and for a graduate role. They've been really helpful this summer while I've been getting my CV ready to look for placements and can also help me to prepare for an interview and at each stage of the process. You can access thei support for up to 3 years after graduating.

I'd say it's also worth considering the location of the unis as they are in different parts of the country. I can't speak for Exeter but I've never had an issue getting anywhere from Loughborough, with Leicester and Nottingham being less than a 20 minute train ride away and being able to get to London in around an hour and a half by train. It's also very easy to get north of Loughborough as well and there is also the option to get coaches that go all around the UK. There is even an airport close by if you wanted to go abroad!

I would also take a look at the extracurricular activities on offer. There might be a particular society or sports club you wanted to join so it's worth checking those out.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions just let us know :smile:

Jess

Ok thank you

If you like all 6 universities then there’s no wrong answer here. Flip a coin or pick out of a hat. If the “decision” of chance doesn’t sit right with you then switch to the other one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending