The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Loughborough for bioengineering

I have two offers for bioengineering at Sheffield and Loughborough my question is which unis better in terms of department, facilities and general respect for engineering amongst job prospectives. I value the course quality over the prestige of the uni and uni life can also be a factor.

I also have an offer for Exeter for mechanical engineering. so what should i do?
As far as I'm aware Sheffield and Loughborough have great reputations in terms of engineering (not sure about bioengineering specifically tbh), Exeter I'm not so sure. If I were you I'd further research Exeter. Also, focus on the type of engineering you want to do first, and go with that!

Apparently Sheffield is a great student city, cheap and the uni has new facilities (The Diamond, built 2015) as well as heavy links to industry in Rolls Royce and It's also part of the Russel Group. I think Loughborough is similar as far as industry links and facilities, but it's not part of the Russel Group.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sheffield nor Loughborough. Once you get to the top 10-15 unis they're all pretty similar in quality I think.
Reply 2
Original post by evakielstra
As far as I'm aware Sheffield and Loughborough have great reputations in terms of engineering (not sure about bioengineering specifically tbh), Exeter I'm not so sure. If I were you I'd further research Exeter. Also, focus on the type of engineering you want to do first, and go with that!

Apparently Sheffield is a great student city, cheap and the uni has new facilities (The Diamond, built 2015) as well as heavy links to industry in Rolls Royce and It's also part of the Russel Group. I think Loughborough is similar as far as industry links and facilities, but it's not part of the Russel Group.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sheffield nor Loughborough. Once you get to the top 10-15 unis they're all pretty similar in quality I think.

Thank you for the help!
Original post by gdhgdhghgvkdj
Thank you for the help!

No worries!!
I have two offers for bioengineering at Sheffield and Loughborough my question is which unis better in terms of department, facilities and general respect for engineering amongst job prospectives. I value the course quality over the prestige of the uni and uni life can also be a factor.

I also have an offer for Exeter for mechanical engineering. so what should i do?

Hi @gdhgdhghgvkdj,

Congratulations on your offers :smile:

You can find out more about the Bioengineering BEng course here or the Bioengineering MEng course here and view more information about Bioengineering at Loughborough here.

I would also recommend looking at student stories from students who have studied Bioengineering here.

You can also find out more about what Loughborough has to offer for students here.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask us any further questions about life at Loughborough :smile:

- Lindsay

Hey,
It is an amazing position to be in, so wherever you choose/have chosen I am sure you will make the most of it and have a great time.
If you want to discuss the course and any specific questions related to that, there are students studying bioengineering at Sheffield who you can talk to online: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat
You are prioritising the right things for University, as it is not only somewhere to study, but somewhere you will live for the next 3+ years. For me, I came to Sheffield and felt that I could feel at home here and there was plenty to do so I thought I would not feel stuck living here for 5 years. I would not stress too much about your choices, if they are both similar in terms of what you want then either way you will not be disappointed.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
I'd say Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest